The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By David Menon

OLD­HAM boss Lee John­son urged his play­ers to look at them­selves in the mir­ror fol­low­ing his side’s sham­bolic de­feat to strug­glers Yeovil – with fa­ther Gary in the op­pos­ing dugout.

The seething John­son Jnr apol­o­gised to sup­port­ers for his side’s poor dis­play after strikes from Stephen Arthur­wor­rey, Si­mon Gillett, Sam Hoskins and sub­sti­tute Ki­ef­fer Moore led rel­e­ga­tion-threat­ened Yeovil to a thro­r­oughly de­served win.

He said: “It was a bit more than a re­al­ity check. All I can do is apol­o­gise.

“I do feel some play­ers have let us down on the day. Hope­fully, it was a one-off. Some of the traits were very wor­ry­ing.What can I do?

“We put out a strong, ex­pe­ri­enced team and I’m very dis­ap­pointed, for mul­ti­ple rea­sons. A cou­ple threw in the towel for me and that was the big­gest dis­ap­point­ment.

“Their team to a man was bet­ter than ours. We were too dis­jointed all over the pitch, due to some re­ally weak char­ac­ters on the day.

“I don’t say this of­ten but they cer­tainly need to look at them­selves in the mir­ror.”

It was a fan­tas­tic day, though, for Dad, who cel­e­brated a first man­age­rial vic­tory over his son to boost his side’s hopes of avoid­ing the drop.

John­son Se­nior said: “We made sure they didn’t look great on the day be­cause of the way we played. We didn’t al­low them to get ahead and that’s why we won the game.

“There was some great fin­ish­ing in the first half. I thought we de­fended solidly in the sec­ond half but still broke and cre­ated two or three chances of our own.

“We keep say­ing we’re un­lucky to be down there, but after games like this it gives our play­ers ex­tra con­fi­dence to play our nat­u­ral press­ing game and stick to our phi­los­o­phy.”

Fol­low­ing a scrappy start, Yeovil took a sur­prise lead on 21 min­utes. An un­marked Arthur­wor­rey stooped low to head a cor­ner against the post and then re­acted quick­est to bun­dle in the re­bound.

Seven min­utes later, mid­fielder Gillett found plenty of space and smashed the ball into the cor­ner.

Yeovil then took ad­van­tage of more calami­tous Old­ham de­fend­ing just be­fore the in­ter­val to put the match beyond doubt.

Genseric Kusunga, whose own goal against Don­caster knocked Old­ham out of the FA Cup last week­end, was dis­pos­sessed by Sam Hoskins, who drilled the ball low beyond a help­less Paddy Kenny.

The shell-shocked Lat­ics re­tained pos­ses­sion for longer in­ter­vals after the break, but it was Yeovil who looked the more dan­ger­ous.

Sub­sti­tute Tom Eaves missed two ex­cel­lent chances, par­tic­u­larly when he dinked the ball over Kenny and fired wide with the goal gap­ing. But a fourth fi­nally ar­rived deep into stop­page time when sub­sti­tute Moore com­pounded Old­ham’s mis­ery with a neat fin­ish.

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

IT’S SAFE: Sam Hoskins cel­e­brates Yeovil’s third goal

ROUT: Ki­ef­fer Moore nets the Glovers’ fourth


T Yeovil

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.