Glovers’ Mor­gan is back with a bang

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Chris Spit­tles

YEOVIL striker Adam Mor­gan be­came the Glovers’ hero on his re­turn to ac­tion af­ter a year out of favour – not that his manager Terry Skiver­ton saw it.

With Town trail­ing 2-1 in stop­page time, they were awarded a penalty for a chal­lenge on Joel Grant by Gills’ de­fender Gavin Hoyte.

Mor­gan hadn’t fea­tured for Yeovil since last March, but showed enough con­fi­dence to claim the ball and step for­ward to take the spot­kick.

Glovers act­ing manager Skiver­ton couldn’t bear to watch, re­treat­ing to the tun­nel, but he needn’t have wor­ried as Mor­gan slot­ted the ball past Stu­art Nel­son to make it 2-2.

It earned Yeovil a de­served point af­ter they’d seen Gozie Ugwu’s first-half opener can­celled out by Gilling­ham goals from John Mar­quis and Luke Nor­ris.

Skiver­ton said: “We brought Adam out of the cold and he’s been train­ing re­ally well for the last cou­ple of weeks.

“He’s got his fit­ness up and he’s had his head down. It was al­most as if the script was writ­ten for him when he took that penalty.

“He was close to leav­ing the club at one stage but I said when I took over I would give ev­ery­one a chance. I told him that if he stepped out of line he would be gone but he hasn’t so far.

“He was a brave lad to step up for the penalty and I ac­tu­ally went down the tun­nel be­cause I was too ner­vous to watch!”

The Gills saw their march to­wards the play­offs halted by the draw - and boss Justin Ed­in­burgh felt the of­fi­cials played a key role in both Yeovil goals.

He said: “It cer­tainly wasn’t a penalty. I’ve looked back at the in­ci­dent on the DVD and it wasn’t a foul but I have to be care­ful what I say. I’m sure the ref won’t sleep well tonight though.

“We also felt that Yeovil’s first goal was off­side so the ref played a key part in both of their goals.

“But we didn’t play like we can in the first half and we had words at half-time be­cause we had to im­prove. It was be­low the stan­dards we’ve been set­ting.” Yeovil went ahead on 21 min­utes when By­ron Web­ster flicked on Sam Fo­ley’s free-kick and Ugwu shot low into the cor­ner of the net.

Both James Hayter and Ugwu missed great chances to ex­tend the Glovers’ lead and early in the sec­ond half the vis­i­tors lev­elled with Mar­quis pounc­ing af­ter Ar­tur Krysiak spilled Cody McDon­ald’s free-kick.

Nor­ris then put the vis­i­tors in front with a low shot from the edge of the area with just three min­utes left. But in stop­page time Hoyte felled Grant and Mor­gan kept his cool from the spot.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.