The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Andy Cooke

YEOVIL’S point at Scun­thorpe was bit­ter­sweet for act­ing boss Terry Skiver­ton as the Glovers dropped deeper into rel­e­ga­tion trou­ble.

Joel Grant’s close-range fin­ish had put the vis­i­tors, who re­main bot­tom of League One, in front in the 28th minute.

But although sub­sti­tute goal­keeper Gareth Ste­wart saved a penalty from for­mer Glovers team-mate Paddy Mad­den on the stroke of half-time, sub­sti­tute Ha­keeb Ade­lakun’s an­gled drive in the sec­ond half earned the Iron a point.

“It was a good draw in the end, but if I’m hon­est, I was dis­ap­pointed we didn’t nick it,” said Skiver­ton.

“I’m pleased with a point, but in the greater scheme of things we go an­other point be­hind safety and now it’s two wins and some­thing else we need to get our­selves out of trou­ble.

“To come to Scun­thorpe on the back of a re­ally dis­ap­point­ing re­sult at Don­caster, I think we reme­died that and were re­silient.

“I felt com­fort­able to­wards the end. We had a cou­ple of gilt­edged chances where we could have nicked it, but Scun­thorpe will prob­a­bly say the same. A draw was prob­a­bly a fair re­sult at the end of the day.”

Scun­thorpe strug­gled to break down a Yeovil side happy to de­fend deep dur­ing the first half.

The open­ing goal came against the run of play, but was well-ex­e­cuted, with Gozie Ugwu strid­ing to­wards goal af­ter be­ing put through by Stephen Kings­ley. When his shot was saved by goal­keeper Luke Daniels, Grant fol­lowed it up at the far post to score.

The Iron had the per­fect op­por­tu­nity to level in stop­page time at the end of the open­ing 45 min­utes, when Mad­den was fouled in the box by By­ron Web­ster. But Ste­wart – on ten min­utes ear­lier when first-choice Ar­tur Krysiak had come off with a head in­jury – dived to his left to keep out his for­mer team-mate’s spot kick.

Scun­thorpe were bet­ter af­ter the break, but were never able to build on the mo­men­tum they were given when Ade­lakun danced past a cou­ple of chal­lenges and drilled a shot into the bot­tom cor­ner.

Hav­ing gone into the game on the back of suc­ces­sive losses, Iron boss Mark Robins was not too dis­ap­pointed with a draw ei­ther.

He said:“Over­all I think we con­trolled the game. We’ve done as well as we can do from goal­keep- er up to the fi­nal third, but in the fi­nal third we didn’t quite do enough to break them down.

“They sat in sat deep and while we moved the ball pretty well, we ran out of guile on the edge of the box.

“It gets frus­trat­ing be­cause you want the ball in the penalty area, but it’s very dif­fi­cult when teams drop back and want you to break them down.

“We’ve got to be a lit­tle bit bet­ter, but hav­ing said that, I can’t crit­i­cise too much be­cause the play­ers have given me 100 per cent.

“We could have been run­away win­ners, but we’ve shot our­selves in the foot in th­ese last two games by gift­ing other teams goals.”

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

FLIP­PIN’ GOOD: Ha­keeb Ade­lakun cel­e­brates Scun­thorpe’s equaliser Inset: Yeovil sub­sti­tute keeper Gareth Ste­wart saves a penalty from Paddy Mad­den

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.