The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Joanna Pendle­ton

STEVE­NAGE manager Gra­ham West­ley in­sisted a draw was the right re­sult, de­spite see­ing his side miss a 97th-minute penalty that would have earned all three points.

Boro had to come back from 1-0 down af­ter Mill­wall loa­nee Fred Onyed­inma scored Wy­combe’s opener, latch­ing onto Paul Hayes’ through ball.

But Chris Whelp­dale whipped in a cross for Tom Pett to equalise and Dean Par­rett gave Steve­nage the lead at half-time when he fired a low free-kick past Matt In­gram.

And there was late drama when Onyed­inma made it 2-2, Chris Beard­s­ley was sent off for a sec­ond book­able of­fence and In­gram saved Par­rett’s penalty at the death.

West­ley, 46, was dis­ap­pointed Par­rett had failed to con­vert the late chance but be­lieved the draw was still a boost to their chances of grab­bing a play-off spot.

“It was ter­rific to earn the penalty and so much of a disap- point­ment not to score but over the course of the game I don’t think we can say we de­served a win,” West­ley con­ceded.

“On oc­ca­sions you have to dig in and show grit and de­ter­mi­na­tion and play for the point as we did .

“My play­ers at­tacked it as best they could, they de­fended for their lives when the mo­ments were there.

“Af­ter get­ting ham­mered by them at home I think we showed some progress about where we’re at.”

Wy­combe had dom­i­nated early on and led af­ter ten min­utes when Onyed­inma took the ball round Sam Beas­ant to score his third goal in three games.

But Wan­der­ers seemed to lose their way as the first half pro­gressed and Steve­nage staged a stunning come­back with Pett’s header and Par­rett’s free-kick giv­ing them the lead at half-time.

It was then the Chair­boys turn to throw ev­ery­thing at Boro as they tried des­per­ately to get back on level terms.

And their at­tempts were re­warded when Onyed­inma headed in his sec­ond from Joe Ja­cob­son’s cor­ner.

Beard­s­ley picked up a sec­ond yel­low for a foul on Sido Jom­bati and was sent for an early bath, yet Steve­nage nearly won it when Al­fie Maw­son took down Ben Kennedy in the last minute of in­jury time, but Par­rett fluffed his lines.

Wy­combe manager Gareth Ainsworth ac­cepted his side had In­gram to thank for keep­ing them in the game.

“We bossed the sec­ond half but it goes to show, if you have one lapse of con­cen­tra­tion you can con­cede a penalty,” the for­mer QPR player ex­plained.

“In my opin­ion we’ve got the best keeper in League Two and he’s come up trumps, I thought it was a bril­liant save.

“The lads are down in there but I’ve said don’t be dis­ap­pointed be­cause the per­for­mance is what I’m pleased with.

“I’ve said we’re go­ing for pro­mo­tion, so it’s a good point for us with the top two slip­ping up and it’s go­ing to be very tight up there be­tween now and the end of the sea­son.”

PIC­TURES: UK Sport Pics

RIGHT SAID FRED: Wy­combe’s Fred Onyed­inma heads in his sec­ond goal from a cor­ner to make it 2-2 WHO’S A PETTY BOY THEN: Steve­nage cel­e­brate with goalscorer Tom Pett STAR MAN FRED ONYED

INMA Wy­com


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.