The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Matt Wright

YEOVIl care­taker manager Terry Skiver­ton was re­lieved his side were not hu­mil­i­ated in the first half as League One’s bot­tom club ca­pit­u­lated at the start of their match with Ori­ent.

The Glovers were sham­bolic from the start.

They quickly found them­selves 2-0 down and could have eas­ily con­ceded five in the open­ing quar­ter alone as Ori­ent cut through them at will.

This was not the nervy match that many thought we’d see be­tween two teams in the bot­tom four. In the end, Ori­ent were the only ones that looked like boost­ing their sur­vival hopes.

Skiver­ton said: “I was happy that we didn’t con­cede seven or eight in that first half.

“I just felt that, with our young side and their ex­pe­ri­ence, we re­ally came up short.

“To con­cede the two goals, both from throw-ins, and be that easy to cut open was the most dis­ap­point­ing thing.

“With the ne­ces­sity of try­ing to get some­thing from the game, I think a lot of our play­ers froze and Ori­ent were a lit­tle bit too much for them.

“That was the first time since I’ve taken over that I’ve wanted to rip peo­ple’s heads off at half-time.”

Ori­ent got off to a sen­sa­tional start when, af­ter Jobi McAnuff did well in bat­tling for pos­ses­sion, the ball broke for Chris Dag­nall, who shot across goal and into the bot­tom cor­ner.

The O’s dou­bled their lead in the sev­enth minute when Yeovil failed to deal with Marvin Bart­ley’s cross, leav­ing Ryan Hedges with a sim­ple fin­ish in front of goal.

Glovers’ goal­keeper Scott Loach then pre­vented his side from go­ing 3-0 down af­ter nine min­utes by push­ing out McAnuff's ef­fort fol­low­ing more poor de­fend­ing.

Loach then di­verted Dar­ius Hen­der­son’s shot on to the post as Yeovil threat­ened to sink with­out trace, be­fore Dag­nall struck the same up­right af­ter McAnuff had an­other chance saved.

Yeovil mirac­u­lously got to half-time only two be­hind, but Ori­ent even­tu­ally scored their third on the hour.

McAnuff claimed the goal his per­for­mance de­served with a calm fin­ish.

Dag­nall was then de­nied his sec­ond as Loach pushed his pow­er­ful shot be­hind with Yeovil’s only worry com­ing from a late in­jury to de­fender Mathieu Baudry.

Ori­ent boss Fabio Liverani said: “I’m very happy with the team and with the per­for­mance in a match that was very im­por­tant to our sea­son.

“For the play­ers, for me and the club, it was im­por­tant to win this match as we try to stay in League One for next sea­son. "With me, Dag­nall has been play­ing in ev­ery match, but it is not easy to choose which for­ward to pick be­cause they’re all very pro­fes­sional in their train­ing.

“It was an un­lucky in­jury for Baudry be­cause he was play­ing well, but for­tu­nately Nathan Clarke and Shane Lowry can play in the next match so we will see.”

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle


FF Ley­ton

Ori­ent GUT­TED: Sam Fo­ley and James Ber­rett walk away in de­jec­tion af­ter Jobi McAnuff makes it 3-0

STRANDED: Yeovil keeper Scott Loach looks back as Ryan Hedges scores

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.