Shirt pull no-goal is mys­tery to Robins

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Andy Cooke

REF­EREE Dar­ren Han­d­ley was at the cen­tre of Scun­thorpe manager Mark Robins’ frus­tra­tions as the Iron were held by Sh­effield United.

The Lan­cashire of­fi­cial spared the blushes of Blades’ Iain Turner when he dis­al­lowed a goal af­ter the vis­it­ing keeper had fum­bled a cor­ner into his own net. The in­ci­dent oc­curred in the 50th minute, with the match finely poised.

Robins chose his words care­fully, but de­scribed the goal as ‘du­bi­ous’.

Nigel Clough, the Sh­effield United boss, said it was for a shirt pull be­fore the ball had crossed the line.

“My view was a lot more limited than the ref­eree,” said Robins.

“He’s seen an in­fringe­ment, but there were no bod­ies around the goal­keeper. Whether Paddy Mad­den had a tug at his shirt, you’ll have to ask the ref­eree.

“That’s what he said he dis­al­lowed it for, but the goal­keeper made a hash of the cross.

“We thought we were 2-1 up – but the ref­eree deemed oth­er­wise.”

Clough ex­plained: “He’d ac­tu­ally given it be­fore Iain spilled it in.

“As he spills it, there’s no­body on him, but there had been.”

The Blades had con­trolled al­most the whole of the first half at Glan­ford Park but fell be­hind in the 37th minute when Iron mid­fielder Neal Bishop was well po­si­tioned to nod past Turner af­ter a free-kick from deep had been headed back into the mid­dle.

The Blades were level, though, on the stroke of half-time when full-back Kieron Free­man pro­duc­ing a mea­sured fin­ish to find the far cor­ner when a cross ran through to him.

The Iron showed more steel af­ter the break and Turner’s fum­ble came in the midst of a good spell for them as they looked the more threat­en­ing.

Both teams had op­por­tu­ni­ties to win it late on – but nei­ther Mad­den, for Scun­thorpe, or Blades sub­sti­tute Ja­son Holt were able to hit the tar­get.

Both bosses seemed con­tent with a point, even though each had good cause to ar­gue it should have been three.

“I’ll take the point in the end, but I thought we were the bet­ter team in the sec­ond half,” ad­mit­ted Robins.

“The first half was a non-en­tity, but af­ter the break we took the game to them and cre­ated enough op­por­tu­ni­ties to win 3-1 or 4-1.”

Mean­while, Clough added: “In the first half, we played very well but con­ceded a goal from the only ef­fort Scun­thorpe had in the half.

“We had five or six very good op­por­tu­ni­ties to take the lead, but we got back on level terms very quickly with a bril­liant goal.

“One full-back crossed and the other put it in from five yards in­side the penalty area.”


RNE Scunth


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.