Sur­vival con­firmed as Iron dig deep

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Aaron Bower

SCUN­THORPE as­sis­tant manager Ned Kelly re­vealed his de­light at se­cur­ing League One sta­tus for an­other sea­son, as the Iron saw off both Gilling­ham and tor­ren­tial con­di­tions in a match that al­most didn’t fin­ish.

Scun­thorpe were 2-1 up when play was suspended mid­way through the first half due to a tor­ren­tial down­pour that saw ref­eree Andy Haines bring the play­ers from the field.

The game was held up for al­most half an hour be­fore the de­ci­sion was made to con­tinue, with the home side hold­ing onto the lead af­ter the restart to se­cure their spot in the di­vi­sion next sea­son.

“Sur­vival was the plan at the very start of the sea­son, and it’s re­ally pleas­ing to get things sewn up be­fore the fi­nal game of the sea­son,” said Kelly.

“We’d have liked to have been a few more goals ahead late on, but it was re­ally pleas­ing to get the win and seal a spot in this league next sea­son.”

All the goals came be­fore the del­uge that saw the game stopped, and it was Gilling­ham who took the lead in the sec­ond minute when Luke Nor­ris fin­ished su­perbly.

How­ever, that fired the home side into life, and af­ter Ha­keeb Ade­lakun fin­ished with a fizzing ef­fort, Gary McSh­ef­frey grabbed his sec­ond goal in a week to fire Scun­thorpe into a lead they would not lose. Af­ter the game had started again fol­low­ing the rain de­lay, Gilling­ham pressed for an equaliser, but the clos­est they came was when Nor­ris forced a great save from Luke Daniels.

“It was a bizarre first half,” said their boss, Justin Ed­in­burgh. “We started well but we were the in­sti­ga­tors of our own down­fall from there on.

“The game fiz­zled out af­ter the rain de­lay in truth; we never like los­ing but there were some strange cir­cum­stances in play.”

SHOWER: Rain halted the match in the first half



UN Scunth


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.