The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Michael Hen­son

THE MES­SAGE from Bury manager David Fl­itcroft af­ter his side had beaten Wim­ble­don was clear: “It’s still not over.”

Goals from Tom Soares and Ryan Lowe se­cured the three points for the Shak­ers, who head into the fi­nal day of the sea­son with a chance of au­to­matic pro­mo­tion. And Fl­itcroft be­lieves they can still make it.

“It’s still not over,” he said. “I wanted to get the last day.

“The last day in English foot­ball is a great day that we all look for­ward to, from the me­dia, to the fans, to the man­age­ment.

“Next week, we’ve got a fan­tas­tic op­por­tu­nity to take care of our busi­ness. I do be­lieve we can achieve it, but there is one more game to go where we’ve got to be ul­tra-pro­fes­sional in ev­ery­thing we do.

“For 20 min­utes, we were a lit­tle bit dis­jointed, I felt.

“Hal­lam (Hope) had a de­cent chance be­fore that, but Popey (Nick Pope) made two bril­liant saves to keep us in a clean sheet sit­u­a­tion.

“I think, af­ter we scored, we con­trolled the game and we then had six or seven chances to win the match, which I told them at half-time to do.”

Wim­ble­don had the bet­ter chances in the open­ing 20 min­utes as Pope had to pro­duce two good saves to deny Sean Rigg.

Bury took the lead in the 33rd minute when Tom Soares headed in Chris Hussey’s in-swing­ing cor­ner for his sev­enth goal of the sea­son.

Pope was then in­volved in the ac­tion again as he pulled off a mag­nif­i­cent one-handed save to pre- vent Rigg from equal­is­ing, be­fore Danny Nardiello struck the post for Bury from Pope’s long goal-kick.

Fl­itcroft in­tro­duced Ryan Lowe into the game in the 58th minute, and he dou­bled Bury’s lead 18 min­utes later.

Soares in­ter­cepted a cross­field ball and played in Lowe, who took a few touches to com­pose him­self be­fore slot­ting past James Shea.

The sec­ond goal seemed to kill the game and the Shak­ers com­fort­ably saw out time to keep their hopes of au­to­matic pro­mo­tion alive ahead of next Satur­day’s game against al­ready-rel­e­gated Tran­mere.

Wim­ble­don boss Neal Ard­ley was left dis­ap­pointed with the re­sult af­ter his play­ers had cre­ated the bet­ter chances in the open­ing pe­riod, but he took full re­spon­si­bil­ity for it.

“To­day has been the story of our sea­son,” he said. “The last five or six games have been that way.

“We’ve prob­a­bly been the bet­ter team in most of them but you can come in at half-time and say we’ve been do­ing well but we’re 1-0 down.

“That sums us up. There are too many vi­tal in­gre­di­ents miss­ing from the team and that re­spon­si­bil­ity is down to me. “I’ve got to take the blame f or that.

“We haven’t got enough qual­i­ties to take the lead and see games out and that is my fault.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

HIGH RISE: Bury’s Tom Soares lives up to his name as he puts his side in front

HAPPY DAYS: Bury’s Ryan Lowe cel­e­brates the sec­ond


S Bury

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.