Bees braced for Gray exit

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Daniel Prescott

MAR­I­NUS Di­jkhuizen ad­mits he has no con­trol over the fu­ture of An­dre Gray as Cham­pi­onship ri­vals Hull con­tinue to be linked with the striker.

Gray started yesterday’s clash against Ip­swich Town on the bench af­ter claim­ing con­tin­ued talk about a po­ten­tial £9mil­lion move meant he was not in the right frame of mind to start.

The for­mer Lu­ton man even­tu­ally came on in the sec­ond half and helped the hosts rally for a point hav­ing found them­selves two goals down en­ter­ing in­jury time.

But Brent­ford boss Di­jkhuizen ad­mit­ted Gray’s per­for­mance would only en­hance Hull’s lust for the player.

“I have spo­ken a lot with An­dre he is a very quick ris­ing star at the club but Hull want him and are bid­ding for him,” said Di­jkhuizen.

“He said to me he was not men­tally ready to play in the game which I ac­cepted. But I needed him to come off the bench and he was ready for it.

“He got a good goal, added some­thing to the at­tack and maybe added £5m to his price tag. He is a big player and would be a big loss to us.

“Some­times money talks and ev­ery player has a price in this world and some­times you have to ac­cept it. I hope he doesn’t leave but some­times you have to live with that.”

Brent­ford looked dead and buried just af­ter half-time as on­loan Bournemouth player Ryan Fraser tapped in Ip­swich’s sec­ond.

Fraser was on hand to slot the ball into an empty net af­ter for­mer West Ham striker Fred­die Sears had used his pace to de­stroy the hosts’ de­fence be­fore cut­ting the ball back.

Mick McCarthy’s side had gone ahead on the stroke of half-time when Mau­ri­tian in­ter­na­tional Kevin Bru found David But­ton’s right hand cor­ner.

Brent­ford had no choice but to put Gray on in the sec­ond half and they have him to thank for res­cu­ing a point.

Gray halved the deficit with just min­utes to play when he latched onto a good through ball from James Tarkowski and the 24-yearold made no mis­take as he used his pace to meet the pass be­fore slot­ting the ball home.

It may have only been the first game of a long sea­son but Di­jkhuizen gave goal­keeper But­ton per­mis­sion to go up for the cor­ner with just sec­onds re­main­ing in or­der to try and steal a point.

And his side were re­warded for their do or die at­ti­tude with a dra­matic equaliser as Tarkowski bun­dled the ball home, much to McCarthy’s dis­ap­point­ment.

“It’s an an­noy­ing one,” he said. “We should’ve won that. We con­ceded two re­ally easy goals and although both sides had chances we had the bet­ter.We missed them and paid the price for slop­pi­ness. I was de­lighted with the way we played, we were ter­rific.

“And it’s a shame those two or three min­utes could po­ten­tially blight you. But I won’t let them, it was a good per­for­mance.

“If you don’t score a third goal and then for­get to lock the back door then you have no­body to blame but your­selves.

“There are 45 games left to go and I’m sure I will have this feel­ing again be­fore the end of the sea­son.

“Their man­ager will know they have had a bit of a do­ing over here be­cause for the ma­jor­ity of the 90 we were fan­tas­tic but for three min­utes we weren’t.

“I’ll be fine with the lads on the bus be­cause we play Tues­day and then Satur­day again and then it’s roll on May.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

LATE LEV­ELLER: Brent­ford’s James Tarkowski cel­e­brates scor­ing their sec­ond goal in a dra­matic fight back

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.