The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Stu­art Dunn

RE­TURN­ING Mill­wall hitman Steve Mori­son grabbed the equaliser and then won the penalty con­verted by strike part­ner Lee Gre­gory to seal an open­ing-day win for the Lions.

Mori­son, who headed back to The Den from Leeds ear­lier this week, wasted no time to make an im­pact for the Lon­don­ers as they came from be­hind to win at Shrews­bury af­ter trail­ing to a sharp fin­ish from James Collins early in the sec­ond half.

While Mill­wall were slid­ing to rel­e­ga­tion from the Cham­pi­onship last sea­son, Shrews­bury were en­joy­ing pro­mo­tion from League Two, but this was to be Mill­wall's day as they claimed max­i­mum points.

Happy Lions boss Neil Harris said: “I was ab­so­lutely de­lighted with the per­for­mance. Other than a spell af­ter half-time lead­ing up to their goal, I thought we dom­i­nated and man­aged the game re­ally well.

“As a unit, we're dis­ap­pointed we didn't come in lead­ing at half­time. We didn't start the sec­ond half par­tic­u­larly well and went a goal be­hind from an ex­tremely well worked goal by them.

“It was ob­vi­ously dis­ap­point­ing for us to con­cede, but the re­ac­tion from the play­ers and the per­for­mance af­ter that was out­stand­ing and that's a bench­mark for the sea­son, not just that 15 min­utes af­ter con­ced­ing but the whole per­for­mance.”

Shrews­bury matched Mill­wall for long stages and Harris ad­mit­ted he ex­pected a tricky af­ter­noon in Shrop­shire.

“I know what a good side Micky Mel­lon's got here,” he said. "I think it was plain to see.”

Mill­wall cre­ated the clearer chances in the first half, with Shrews­bury goal­keeper Jayson Leutwiler need­ing to be alert to push away a Shaun Wil­liams lon­grange piledriver and turn a low drive from the dan­ger­ous Fred Onyed­inma round a post.

Then when Leutwiler was beaten by a loop­ing header from Mark Beev­ers, Abu Ogogo res­cued Shrews­bury with a goalline clear­ance.

Ty­rone Bar­nett and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro headed chances off tar­get for the home side be­fore they broke the dead­lock in the 55th minute.

A neat free-kick saw Martin Woods and Ryan Woods com­bine be­fore Akpa Akpro drove across goal and Collins con­verted from a nar­row an­gle.

Mill­wall needed a quick re­sponse and that's just what they got as within four min­utes they were level. Onyed­inma's trick­ery saw him break into the box and cross for Mori­son to tap home.

Mill­wall swiftly com­pleted the turn­around in the 67th minute when Mori­son was caught by Mat Sadler's chal­lenge and Gre­gory kept his cool to ri­fle the win­ner from the spot.

“I think it was a very tight game, I don't think there was any doubt about that,” said Shrews­bury man­ager Micky Mel­lon. “We got in at half time and said it was go­ing to be about who would blink first. “The dis­ap­point­ing thing for us is when we got that goal to go in front I think Mill­wall re­acted bet­ter to us scor­ing.”

PIC­TURES: Media Im­age Ltd

IN THE NET: Gre­gory strokes home his penalty SPOT ON: Lee Gre­gory cel­e­brates scor­ing the sec­ond goal for Mill­wall from a penalty

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.