Saun­ders cel­e­brates first game with a win

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Liam Batch

DEAN Saun­ders in­sists his side won’t be get­ting car­ried away af­ter cel­e­brat­ing his first game in charge of Ch­ester­field with a win.

Af­ter con­ced­ing a fourth minute goal to Barns­ley through Conor Wilkin­son, Ch­ester­field’s Syl­van Ebanks-Blake stole the show.

Jay O’Shea lev­elled for Ch­ester­field five min­utes af­ter the break, be­fore two goals in a minute through Ebanks-Blake and Sam Morsy turned the game on its head.

Saun­ders said:“I’m pleased that we’ve come back from a goal down, I thought we played well right from the start of the game.

“We looked fit, we looked strong and it was a good per­for­mance from all of them but I’m not get­ting car­ried away, it’s just one game and we have to move on.

“We didn’t panic af­ter go­ing a goal down and I thought we played very well right through the whole of the game

“All in all, it was a good per­for­mance and I en­joyed watch­ing it. I couldn’t have asked for more from them, we cre­ated a lot of chances.”

Barns­ley couldn’t have wished for a bet­ter start when they opened the scor­ing in just the fourth minute.

On-loan midfielder Danny Crow­ley set off on a surg­ing run that caused chaos be­fore clev­erly dink­ing a through-ball to Wilkin­son to fire home.

Ch­ester­field piled on the pres­sure in the early stages of the sec­ond-half and their ef­forts were al­most in­stantly re­warded when Ebanks-Blake played in O’Shea who coolly slot­ted home past Adam Davies.

That goal gave the Spire­ites the im­pe­tus to grab another and they soon did on 72 min­utes when Ebanks-Blake swiv­elled on a six­pence be­fore pow­er­ing a de­flected ef­fort past Davies in the Barns­ley goal.

Straight from the re­sult­ing kick-off, Ch­ester­field wrapped up the points when Ebanks-Blake who was in­volved yet again, fed the ball into the path of Morsy who spec­tac­u­larly curled a thun­der­ous 25yard ef­fort crash­ing against the post and into the net.

Barns­ley man­ager Lee John­son said:“I was dis­ap­pointed as I thought we started the game well but once we got pegged back we went down like domi­noes.

“Over the course of the 90 min­utes it did look like we ca­pit­u­lated at times, the sec­ond and third goals were re­ally poor to con­cede.

“I thought our fans were ex­cel­lent and even when we were 3-1 down they kept on singing and were right be­hind the boys.

“Make no mis­take our play­ers have to grow up quickly be­cause this is a tough league, full of phys­i­cal­ity and you need great men­tal strength to be suc­cess­ful.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.