Fl­itcroft is all smiles de­spite a late blow

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Craig Nel­son

BURY man­ager David Fl­itcroft re­fused to point fin­gers af­ter watch­ing his side suf­fer a late Swin­don sucker-punch in a game they dom­i­nated for the first hour.

Sec­ond-half sub­sti­tutes Fa­bien Robert and An­ton Rodgers scored a goal apiece for the Robins late in the game to can­cel out Tom Pope’s header and a Danny Mayor strike for Bury.

It was hard to bear for a Gigg Lane crowd who paid an emo­tional trib­ute to Neville Neville, the club’s for­mer am­bas­sador and fa­ther of ex-Manch­ester United stars Gary and Phil, who passed away last week aged 65.

But Fl­itcroft be­lieves his team did well to go toe-to-toe with a dan­ger­ous Swin­don side.

“At 2-0 up we were cruis­ing and giv­ing a topqual­ity team real prob­lems,” said Fl­itcroft.

“To only be sat here with one point is dis­ap­point­ing but I have got to take the pos­i­tives out of the 60 or 65 min­utes we were out­stand­ing for.

“I don’t want to get drawn into that neg­a­tiv­ity about what could have been.

“Swin­don man­ager Mark Cooper has car­ried on his good work from last sea­son.

“I saw his side tear apart Brad­ford last week so it just shows you where we are try­ing to get to.

“Just maybe a lit­tle bit of naivety has cost us the two points at the end of the day.”

Bury re­sponded to a minute’s ap­plause for Neville be­fore kick-off by mak­ing a blis­ter­ing start.

Full-back Joe Ri­ley put in a pin­point cross from the right to find Pope, who buried it with a tow­er­ing header in the fourth minute.

Leon Clarke then hit the post with a penalty he won mid­way through a half dom­i­nated by the Shakers.

Any fears they would be made to re­gret that missed op­por­tu­nity looked to have been erased when Mayor stroked home a su­perb shot from the edge of the box early in the sec­ond half.

But Robert halved Bury’s ad­van­tage on 74 min­utes when his mis-hit shot found the bot­tom cor­ner.

And Rodgers, watched by his dad, Liver­pool man­ager Bren­dan Rodgers, equalised with a sweetly struck 25-yard free-kick seven min­utes from time that sailed into the top cor­ner.

Swin­don boss Mark Cooper said: “I think when you go 2-0 down af­ter half time and come back to draw 2-2 you have to be happy.

“I’m a lit­tle bit frus­trated by the fact that, if we had stayed pa­tient at the end we might have cre­ated one more good chance and could have won the game.

“But we wasted half the game.We prob­a­bly got the shape a lit­tle bit wrong, but we have come back, drawn, got a point away from home and we would have set­tled that be­fore the start.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.