Gray clouds lift at Turf Moor

The Football League Paper - - NEWS - By Colin Hen­rys

SEAN Dy­che be­lieves Burn­ley’s vic­tory against Brent­ford ban­ished the nerves start­ing to gather at Turf Moor.

Michael Keane’s first-half header earned the Clarets their open­ing win of the sea­son, af­ter Tom Heaton had ear­lier pulled off a string of saves to keep Brent­ford at bay.

And with record sign­ing An­dre Gray’s trans­fer from Brent­ford now sealed, and the first vic­tory in the bag, Dy­che be­lieves the re-build­ing pro­ject at rel­e­gated Burn­ley is on course.

“I think we de­served the win in the end,” Dy­che said.“There were some nerves around first half and we un­der­stand why – ev­ery­one wanted that first win and it was im­por­tant to get it.

“The play­ers are af­fected by the ques­tions – can we re­build af­ter get­ting rel­e­gated? But there was a good mix­ture of grind and good play and over­all there’s more to come. I’m 100 per cent sure on that.

“Peo­ple for­get we’re five big play­ers down on last sea­son. We have to re-mould the team.

“An­dre Gray will bring some­thing dif­fer­ent, I think. There’s no guar­an­tee, of course, but he’s very hun­gry for suc­cess.

“I said we want to be pro­duc­tive in the mar­ket and we’re still out there if the right move comes along.”

Brent­ford had started the bright­est and Akaki Go­gia’s quick feet won a free-kick on the edge of the box on 16 min­utes – Heaton par­ry­ing Alan Judge’s ef­fort clear.

Burn­ley cap­tain Heaton was called into ac­tion again mo­ments later, this time tak­ing two at­tempts to claim Lasse Vibe’s low strike af­ter the winger’s clever turn in the box. Vibe was in again on 22 min­utes, rac­ing on to Kon­stantin Ker­schbaumer’s de­fence-split­ting pass, but Heaton stuck out a leg to save his low strike.

Hav­ing rode their luck, the hosts took the lead against the run of play, how­ever, as Keane’s back­post header, from David Jones’ cor­ner, snuck in mid­way through the first half.

That goal in­vig­o­rated the Clarets, and Scott Ar­field had time and space to dou­ble the lead on 35 min­utes but blazed wildly over when Michael Kightly’s cross was only half-cleared.

Jones then headed David But­ton’s un­con­vinc­ing clear­ance into Ar­field’s path on 55 min­utes, but the back-ped­alling keeper turned his first-time shot wide.

Sub­sti­tute Sam Vokes and Lukas Jutkiewicz could also have in­creased their side’s ad­van­tage but both shot over.

The Burn­ley chances kept com­ing, as Matthew Tay­lor – on for Kightly – fired a hard, low free-kick wide of the far post, but un­like the visi­tors, they were not to rue their missed chances, hold­ing on for a first home win in six games.

Brent­ford boss Mar­i­nus Di­jkhuizen ad­mit­ted they missed the fire­power of Burn­ley new boy Gray.

“We played the first-half, in my view, bet­ter,” he said. “We had good energy and put pres­sure on the ball and we cre­ated some very good chances.

“But we had to score, and we saw that with the Burn­ley goal. I think we were a bit un­lucky to lose.

“It’s dif­fi­cult to lose An­dre Gray. His goals won a lot of points. But it’s been go­ing on for a cou­ple of weeks and now we can go on and start look­ing for a re­place­ment.

“Is it a re­lief? Yes and no. I had a good re­la­tion­ship with him, and we now don’t have a re­place­ment on the bench so we are in need of two new strik­ers be­fore the trans­fer win­dow ends.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

BY GE­ORGE: Kon­stantin Ker­schbaumer loses the ball af­ter Ge­orge Boyd sticks out a foot

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.