Last-gasp clincher stirs boss

The Football League Paper - - NEWS - By Greg Stub­ley

GUY Luzon has played down thoughts that Charl­ton are Cham­pi­onship un­der­dogs af­ter they im­pressed again in this nar­row vic­tory over ti­tle-con­tenders Hull City.

The Is­raeli boss, who was with­out first-choice right-back Chris Solly and top-scorer Tony Watt, made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Not­ting­ham For­est in mid­week and was re­warded with an ex­cel­lent per­for­mance.

A last-ditch win­ner from Jo­hann Berg Gud­munds­son saw Luzon race down the touch­line to celebrate, only to be sent to the stands by ref­eree Tim Robin­son, but the 40-year-old will not let that stop him from do­ing it again.

“I was emo­tional but that was it. If we win in the next game in the last minute, I might do it again,” he said.

“I don’t care what the media or peo­ple say about the favourites, we ar­rive in ev­ery game not wor­ry­ing who the op­po­nent is and our am­bi­tion is con­tinue tak­ing all the points from ev­ery game.

“We played well, we were dom­i­nant and the play­ers showed a lot of qual­ity and char­ac­ter through­out.

“I’m happy with the young play­ers and that showed we have young­sters who we can trust – it was a good day for the club and fans.”

For Hull, it was a dis­ap­point­ing show­ing af­ter their un­beaten start to the sea­son and the first half summed up their per­for­mance, with the Tigers not man­ag­ing to get an ef­fort on tar­get.

Fol­low­ing the break, Charl­ton stepped up a gear and their ef­forts were re­warded when Si­mon Makienok headed home from close range af­ter some ex­cel­lent work by Gud­munds­son on the right-hand flank.

The Ad­dicks should have made it two mo­ments later, when Ahmed Kashi found Gud­munds­son but the Ice­landic winger could only shoot straight at Hull goal­keeper Allan McGre­gor.

With Charl­ton flirt­ing with a sec­ond, Steve Bruce made a change to take off Tom Hud­dle­stone and re­place him with Ar­se­nal loa­nee Isaac Hay­den as well as bring­ing on Uruguayan Abel Her­nan­dez.

The sub­sti­tu­tions made a dif­fer­ence, with Hay­den orches­trat­ing the play from mid­field, cre­at­ing chances for firstly Sone Aluko, who shot wide from dis­tance, be­fore float­ing a ball in for Ni­kica Jelavic, but the striker could only head wide.

Hull’s pres­sure fi­nally counted when Hay­den’s ini­tial ef­fort de­flected off the post be­fore his sec­ond at­tempt mo­ments later was spilled by Charl­ton keeper Nick Pope, fall­ing to Her­nan­dez who cap­i­talised to draw the two teams level.

With eight min­utes of added time given the for­mer Palermo striker thought he had put the away side in the lead, only to see his close-range header ruled out for off­side. Then with sec­onds to go, a long ball from Kashi found the head of striker Makienok who de­light­fully knocked the ball down to Gud­munds­son, who headed home to send the Val­ley crowd into pan­de­mo­nium.

“I can’t ar­gue with the re­sult as we waited un­til the first hour to get go­ing,” Hull City man­ager Steve Bruce said.

“It was dis­ap­point­ing, I’m not go­ing to make ex­cuses but the first 45 min­utes was some of the worst we’ve had.

“We have to be bet­ter than that if we are go­ing to be suc­cess­ful.

“We played well against Ful­ham the other night, how­ever, if we play like we did for an hour to­day, plenty of teams will de­feat us and to­day that seemed to be the case.

“I was not sur­prised with the stop­page, we were shout­ing for it and I was de­lighted at the time, but it came back to haunt us.”

JOY: Charl­ton boss Guy Luzon cel­e­brates af­ter Jo­hann Berg Gud­munds­son scores their sec­ond


OK Charlto


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.