The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Hash Piperdy

DA­GEN­HAM boss Wayne Bur­nett pulled no punches in his as­sess­ment of the of­fi­cials af­ter his side were pegged back late at Wy­combe.

Matt McClure struck against his old club af­ter just six min­utes and the Dag­gers looked the more com­fort­able in the Adams Park heat.

Aaron Pierre scored his sec­ond goal in as many games deep into in­jury time to earn the Chair­boys a point, but that was not what riled Bur­nett.

Just be­fore half-time, Charl­ton loa­nee Ayo Obil­eye had a headed ef­fort dis­al­lowed for off­side af­ter a long con­ver­sa­tion be­tween ref­eree Dar­ren Eng­land and his as­sis­tant.

“It was a goal,” fumed Bur­nett. “These de­ci­sions change games and can cost peo­ple their jobs and they don’t un­der­stand that.

“It was a very flip­pant de­ci­sion that the lines­man made. He’s got it wrong and it was pa­thetic. It wasn’t good enough and it’s cost us three points.

“I’m dis­ap­pointed be­cause it feels like a de­feat. I’m not sure where he got six min­utes of in­jury time. I asked, and kept get­ting told ‘I’ll tell you in a minute’.”

Bur­nett, how­ever, was not in­ter­ested in lay­ing any blame at McClure’s door af­ter the goalscorer had been shown a sec­ond yel­low card 15 min­utes from time.

“McClure is a com­mit­ted player,” he added. “He’s still a young man and he needs to learn.”

Wy­combe were far more pos­i­tive af­ter the restart, sig­ni­fied by a Garry Thompson volley, which flew nar­rowly over af­ter 12 sec­onds. The hosts re­mained pa­tient, work­ing the ball neatly in their fi­nal third, but with­out much re­ward. Jason Ban­ton came on with just over 20 min­utes re­main­ing and im­me­di­ately flashed an ef­fort past the far post.

To their credit, Da­gen­ham & Red­bridge didn’t look like a team at the foot of the ta­ble, with Ny­ron Nos­wor­thy or­gan­is­ing the de­fence in the face of in­creas­ing Wy­combe pres­sure and in­creas­ing frus­tra­tion from Wan­der­ers.

How­ever, McClure’s late foul on Sido Jom­bati gave him a sec­ond yel­low card with 15 min­utes to go.The dis­missal set up a clas­sic fin­ish with Stephen McGinn test­ing Liam O’Brien, and the pres­sure fi­nally paid off when a Michael Har­ri­man cross found emer­gency striker Pierre who scored to give both sides a de­served point.

And Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth was de­lighted to see Pierre pop up at just the right time.

“He’s fan­tas­tic in the air,” he said. “He took the plau­dits last year. He was a game win­ner on Tues­day and point-res­cuer here.

“We changed for­ma­tion twice in the sec­ond half to get some­thing out of the game, and I’m pleased, but there’s plenty to work on.

“We’ve got some in­tel­li­gent boys and we just needed to get our foot on the ball and play through mid­field which we did in the sec­ond half.

“It took us right un­til the last minute to score. It wasn’t good enough and I’ve told the play­ers that. Crawley will be a tough game, but I’m sure we can get some­thing out of it.”

PIC­TURES: UK Sport Pics

HAV­ING A SHOUT: Aaron Pierre roars af­ter equal­is­ing for Wy­combe late on STAR MAN AYO


Red Dag&

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.