Elokobi’s on song as U’s stage late show

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Dan Evans

RE­TURN­ING de­fender Ge­orge Elokobi was the hero as Colch­ester United snatched a point and man­ager Tony Humes ad­mits his side scaled a moun­tain to earn the draw.

The cen­tre-back, mak­ing his first start of the sea­son for the U’s af­ter re­turn­ing to the club dur­ing the sum­mer, popped up at the far post to head an 81st-minute equaliser.

It re­stored par­ity af­ter Ge­orge Moncur’s closerange fin­ish had ear­lier given the home side hope. They had been 2-0 down in­side 20 min­utes thanks to well-taken goals by Scun­thorpe duo Kevin van Veen and Paddy Mad­den.

“The first goal was a set­back and when the sec­ond goes in we were look­ing at a moun­tain to climb,” said Humes.

“But the one thing to come out of it, give the play­ers credit for how they re­acted and got back into game by play­ing the right way. That’s the way we want to play.

“We had the ma­jor­ity of the play in the sec­ond half but we should be do­ing that with­out hav­ing to come from two be­hind. You win games from be­ing in a good po­si­tion, not from chas­ing.

“We’ve got to find more belief and con­sis­tency. That’s up to play­ers on the pitch to do, but credit them for way they came back.”

The Iron were clin­i­cal early on, van Veen beat­ing the home wall and goal­keeper El­liott Parish with a per­fectly-struck free-kick when the game was only seven min­utes old and Mad­den fin­ish­ing a one-on-one 11 min­utes later.

Just when it looked as though the hosts may be head­ing for another crush­ing de­feat, akin to their 4-0 wal­lop­ing at Fleet­wood Town a week ear­lier, the U’s clawed their way back into the game.

In the 33rd minute Moncur slammed home fol­low­ing a ball in from the left af­ter ref­eree Dean White­stone had played a clever ad­van­tage. Scun­thorpe were ar­guably the bet­ter side af­ter the break, but they were forced to set­tle for a point when Elokobi used his power and pres­ence to meet a cor­ner from debu­tant Cal­lum Har­riott.

“It was dis­ap­point­ing to come away with one point rather than three,” said Iron boss Mark Robins. “There were spells in the game where I thought we did re­ally well. At the be­gin­ning we weath­ered an early storm and did pretty well.

“We con­ceded a poor goal – it would have been a penalty but we switched off. It wasn’t great and with the sec­ond goal we’ve got to de­fend set plays bet­ter, be­cause when you do you get three points.

“No­body com­ing here would have said we didn’t de­serve the three points, but our de­ci­sions weren’t good enough.We just weren’t able to see the game out.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.