York miss chance to jump into top half

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By An­drew Gib­ney

YORK City man­ager Russ Wil­cox was left to rue missed chances as his team once again let a one goal lead slip at Bootham Cres­cent.

Sim­i­lar to the 2-1 de­feat against Hartle­pool in their open­ing home game, the Min­ster­men scored first be­fore Mans­field Town came back to claim an im­pres­sive 2-1 away win.

And Wil­cox was less than im­pressed with his side’s abil­ity to kill off a game he felt was there for the tak­ing.

“We wasted a great op­por­tu­nity to get into the top half,” said Wil­cox. “A win would have taken us to 12th.

“We've scored the first goal, we've had 11 at­tempts at their goal, but our qual­ity to­day was poor. I think you have to say that.

“The fi­nal ball, fi­nal ex­e­cu­tion, we cre­ated a few op­por­tu­ni­ties but headed a few over the bar and hit a few wide.

“The pos­i­tive is that we are cre­at­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties from dif­fer­ent ar­eas of the pitch, but we have to put it in the net when it comes.”

There were only six min­utes on the clock when York City took the lead. Reece Thompson won a free-kick on the left wing af­ter Krys­tian Pearce could do noth­ing to stop him cut­ting in­side.

Luke Sum­mer­field looked to find the far cor­ner with a curl­ing in­swinger – played with great pace it seemed to evade ev­ery­one un­til Thompson nicked a toe on the ball to take it past Brian Jensen.

Af­ter the early flurry of pres­sure from the home side, Mans­field hit back within seven min­utes. Reg­gie Lambe played a cor­ner to the edge of the box, Adam Champ­man’s shot was blocked into the path of Matt Green and with an in­stinc­tive flash of his flu­o­res­cent boots the ball was past Scott Flin­ders and into the far cor­ner.

Mans­field were tak­ing con­trol of the game and a stun­ning mo­ment of magic from Green gave them the lead. Played through down the left chan­nel, the for­ward teased the de­fence with a cou­ple of step overs be­fore fir­ing an un­stop­pable shot into the bot­tom right­hand cor­ner.

The sec­ond half failed to match the ex­cite­ment of the first. Mans­field, with Ryan Tafa­zolli deal­ing with ev­ery­thing York threw at him, were happy to soak up the home side’s aerial as­sault.

Mans­field were wellor­gan­ised and dis­ci­plined at the back which saw them over the line.

“The move­ment and the speed of our play was very good at times,” beamed de­lighted Mans­field Town man­ager Adam Mur­ray. “What we need to do is carry that on for 90 min­utes.

“Over­all, I thought it showed a com­plete per­for­mance and I think this is a mas­sive three points for us.”


LLI Mansfi


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.