Boro are stunned by Gash and grab

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Brian Yar­ris

STEVE­NAGE boss Teddy Sher­ing­ham was left fum­ing af­ter watch­ing Bar­net sub­sti­tute Michael Gash score a last-gasp win­ner.

Trail­ing 2-1 when the for­mer Cam­bridge United tar­get man was in­tro­duced, Gash turned the game on its head, much to Sher­ing­ham’s ir­ri­ta­tion.

And the 29-year-old fit­tingly popped up in the right place to bag a price­less win­ner to end a six-game win­less streak.

“We knew the game was go­ing to change, with­out a doubt, there’s no way that they could be as bad in the sec­ond half as they were in the first half,” said Sher­ing­ham.

“We talked about it at half time, we knew ex­actly what was com­ing in the sec­ond half, but still we al­lowed them to do what they wanted to do by gift­ing them play and mak­ing the wrong op­tions from our point of view when we had worked on them.

“I’m bit­terly dis­ap­pointed. We got to 2-1 again and you’d think it would stem the tide but they were get­ting so much joy.

“It is a big set­back, a real big set­back. I’m dis­ap­pointed with our play­ers. I don’t think you can fault the at­ti­tude, it was just the wrong op­tions at the wrong time.”

Steve­nage headed into the break one goal to the good af­ter Fraser Franks scored his sec­ond goal for the club.

Boro took the lead in the tenth minute from a cor­ner. Steven Schu­macher floated it in from the right, Char­lie Lee nod­ded the ball back across goal and Franks was there to head the ball home.

Bar­net be­gan the sec­ond half pos­i­tively and drew level three min­utes af­ter the break. The ball was bob­bling around in the area from a cor­ner and Bondz N’Gala was on hand to di­vert the ball home.

How­ever, they were be­hind again a minute later. Schu­macher floated a free kick into the area, Lee headed the ball across goal and Tom Hitch­cock was there to make it 2-1.

The Bees were not out of the game though. Two min­utes af­ter the hour, John Akinde’s cross from the left found Aaron Mclean, who took a touch be­fore em­phat­i­cally fin­ish­ing across goal.

The Bees com­pleted the turn­around in the 77th minute. Akinde cut in­side from the left, crossed and Gash prod­ded the ball home.

Bar­net man­ager Martin Allen said: “It wasn’t easy to watch in the first half, but all credit must go to the play­ers, in the way they picked them­selves up in the sec­ond half.

“They upped their game, they sharp­ened up a lit­tle bit and I thought we thor­oughly de­served to win.We had nu­mer­ous more chances in the sec­ond half and we could have had more goals.”


LE Bar­net

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.