The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Ricky Charlesworth

DON­CASTER Rovers’ in­terim man­ager Rob Jones laid into his play­ers af­ter their derby day col­lapse.

Chris Basham, Conor Sam­mon and Billy Sharp found the net to se­cure vic­tory for the hosts, af­ter Jones had seen Cameron Stewart tem­po­rar­ily draw Rovers level.

Don­caster’s Gary MacKen­zie was sent off in the first-half to com­plete what was a mis­er­able day for the visi­tors.

Jones said af­ter­wards his side were sim­ply not good enough.

“That was un­ac­cept­able,” he said.

“We can’t hide be­hind the fact that we went down to ten men, but I’m quite an­gry with the per­for­mance we put in.

“Yes we got back on level terms but it’s mis­take af­ter mis­take af­ter mis­take and I’m not hav­ing it any­more.

“Ir­re­spec­tive of who we play against, the bare min­i­mum is work rate and to avoid ba­sic er­rors.

“We started al­right and could have gone in front early on but they do, be­cause of a mis­take.

“We’ve now got to look for a re­ac­tion.

“A lot of things up­set me but we’ve dis­cussed in the chang­ing room what I’m not pleased about.

“I de­mand a re­sponse on Tues­day night.”

As for Blades boss Nigel Ad­kins, he was pleased his side re­turned to win­ning ways at home af­ter re­cent losses to Colch­ester and Bury.

He said: “It was a good three points but we should re­ally have scored some more goals.

“The play­ers have re­sponded in a good man­ner and again we’ve cre­ated lots of chances.

“We’ve got a squad of play­ers all striv­ing to con­trib­ute.

“We’ve cre­ated chances, we would have liked to have kept a clean sheet but all in all it puts us back on track with a good three points at home.

“I’ve not seen the replay of the send­ing off, where there was a com­ing to­gether. The ref­eree has made those de­ci­sions and we have to abide by them.”

Ad­kins made six al­ter­ations to his line-up but United be­lied that fact as they opened the scor­ing on 17 min­utes.

Basham thun­dered the ball home in­side the box af­ter a pre­cise cross from Craig Al­cock.

The visi­tors drew level just seven min­utes later when Stewart’s free-kick was ex­cel­lently placed be­yond the flail­ing Mark Howard.

On the half-hour mark, Sam­mon wasted a glo­ri­ous chance to re­store the Blades’ lead when he con­trolled Paul Coutts’ chip be­fore slip­ping a shot just wide.

How­ever, Sam­mon made no mis­take a few min­utes later as he glee­fully smashed home in­side the box af­ter Coutts again supplied the as­sist.

The game changed on 38 min­utes when Rovers cen­tre-half MacKen­zie was shown a straight red card for a high foot on Al­cock and headed for the tun­nel.

Rovers strug­gled af­ter that and were tthe ar­chi­tects of their own down­fall for the third goal.

James Cop­pinger’s back­pass fell well short for Thorsten Stuck­mann and Sharp stole the ball, rounded the keeper and tapped into the empty net.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.