Golden Har­riott leads U’s fight­back

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By James Wil­liams

TONY Humes be­lieves his in-form Colch­ester United are ma­tur­ing as a team af­ter they reg­is­tered a third suc­ces­sive league win.

The U’s vic­tory at the County Ground meant they moved up to tenth and in­flicted a third suc­ces­sive de­feat on hosts Swin­don Town.

Swin­don-born Ge­orge Moncur gave Colch­ester an early lead and although Wes Thomas lev­elled mid­way through the half, Cal­lum Har­riott scored what proved to be the win­ning goal just be­fore the break.

Humes said:“It was a good three points again.

“We took the lead at half-time and we’ve had to bat­tle to see the game out, sim­i­larly to last week.

“It shows that we’re man­ag­ing things bet­ter and that we’re ma­tur­ing.

“Some of the football we played in the first half was ter­rific.

“Had we taken all of our chances, I think we could have been out of sight in the first half.

“I thought that to a man, they were de­fen­sively su­perb.”

Moncur side-footed home from Matt Briggs’ pass to give Colch­ester a third-minute lead.

Thomas blasted over from Nicky Ajose’s pass, but af­ter Swin­don keeper Tyrell Belford de­nied Moncur a sec­ond, the Robins equalised in the 22nd minute through Thomas, who fin­ished well af­ter Jor­dan Turnbull had flicked on Fa­bien Robert’s cor­ner.

Colch­ester keeper Jamie Jones bril­liantly pushed away Hen­rik Oja­maa’s close-range ef­fort on the half hour be­fore Har­riott re­stored the U’s lead three min­utes be­fore half-time, slot­ting em­phat­i­cally past Belford af­ter Marvin Sordell had clev­erly helped on Owen Gar­van’s pass.

Jones de­nied Turnbull af­ter the break and at the other end, Belford tipped Gavin Massey’s shot onto the bar.

Ajose struck a post from sub­sti­tute Jeremy Balmy’s cross and Tosin Olufemi nod­ded Raphael Branco’s header off the line late on, as Colch­ester held on for another im­pres­sive win.

Swin­don boss Mark Cooper said: “It was an endto-end game, an open game. “We put our­selves in trou­ble with a re­ally early goal and it was some­thing that we warned about, Ge­orge Moncur get­ting in the box.

“The player who was pick­ing him up didn’t mark him tight enough.

“Then we get back into the game, have a good spell with a cou­ple of good chances but just be­fore half-time we don’t de­fend well enough again, some­body doesn’t stay with their run­ner.

“I said to the play­ers that when we get into the box we get marked, peo­ple stay with us and we’re not do­ing that at the minute.”


TT Colche


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.