New boss but same old story for Donny

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Steven Chicken By Andy Moore

NEW Don­caster boss Dar­ren Fer­gu­son got a flavour of the task ahead of him af­ter Rovers were un­able to find a re­sponse to De­vante Cole’s first­minute strike.

Fer­gu­son was not in the dugout at the Keep­moat Sta­dium as in­terim man­ager Rob Jones took charge of his fi­nal game fol­low­ing the former Peter­bor­ough boss’ ap­point­ment on Fri­day.

Rovers now sit sec­ond­bot­tom of League One with less than a point per game.

Jones said:“You can’t keep giv­ing teams goals. We did that in the first minute of the game, so ob­vi­ously we had 89 min­utes to get back into it.

“We had a lot of pos­ses­sion in their half but the fi­nal ball let us down. I think we’ve had two shots on tar­get at home. It’s not good enough.

“Dar­ren’s watched this game, and watched our last six games on DVD. He’ll have his ideas about what he wants to do, where he wants to go, and play­ers he wants to bring in.

“He’ll do what­ever he sees nec­es­sary and sees fit to move the club for­wards.”

Cole net­ted his fifth goal in eight league games af­ter Donny failed to deal with Lee Evans’ long throw, flicked on by Rory McAr­dle.

Keshi An­der­son protested long and hard that his 24th-minute ef­fort should have stood, but referee Dean White­stone cor­rectly dis­al­lowed it for hand­ball.

Ban­tams winger Kyel Reid tested Thorsten Stuck­mann just be­fore half-time with a rasp­ing drive that the goal­keeper punched clear.

Jones threw plenty of men for­wards in search of an equaliser, but they were un­able to break down City’s solid back line.

Andy Wil­l­liams had the best chance on 71 min­utes, but his fin­ish off James Cop­pinger’s cross was too close to name­sake Ben in the Brad­ford goal. Sub­sti­tute Nathan Tyson went close again ten min­utes later, but his nar­rowan­gled shot went just wide of the far post.

Brad­ford boss Phil Parkin­son said: “We knew com­ing here that Dar­ren’s been ap­pointed, he was in the stands and float­ing around the dress­ing room be­fore the game.

“We knew we were go­ing to get against a crowd which were more spir­ited, you could feel it in the ground when you came in.

“They have a group of play­ers that wanted to show their new man­ager that they want to be part of his plans. So it was al­ways go­ing to be that ex­tra lit­tle bit more dif­fi­cult, but I thought the lads were tremen­dous.

“We’ve got to take the per­for­mances from Rochdale and this game into our home games now.”

COVEN­TRY City man­ager Tony Mow­bray was frus­trated with his side’s in­abil­ity to get the killer goal af­ter a stalemate at home to Black­pool, with both sides guilty of miss­ing chances at the Ri­coh Arena.

Both sides were com­ing off a run of form, prior to the in­ter­na­tional break, and both sides had chances in the first half with the Sky Blues’ Marc An­toineFor­tune slid­ing the ball nar­rowly wide of the post be­fore Black­pool’s Colin Doyle mag­nif­i­cently tipped a Chris Stokes shot wide.

The lively Adam Arm­strong and Ja­cob Mur­phy were caus­ing prob­lems for Black­pool but the away side were de­fend­ing well and re­strict­ing the home side to long-range ef­forts. Mur­phy was to go close twice with Doyle frus­trat­ing the home fans with a string of saves.

Black­pool’s Mark Cullen and Jack Red­shaw went close for the Seasiders but were thwarted by a stingy Coven­try defence as the scores re­mained level at the break.

Mow­bray said: “Black­pool have started to build a bit of mo­men­tum and we knew how they would come and play to make life dif­fi­cult.

“We worked ex­tremely hard and the play­ers gave all they had got but it was not to be.We had the op­por­tu­ni­ties but we were not as sharp as we have been this sea­son.

“It is a game we would prob­a­bly have lost last sea­son when I first came. Those tight matches were all go­ing against us at that time.We didn’t win it, but on the bright side we didn’t lose it either”

The sec­ond half saw more chances from both sides with Red­shaw forc­ing Re­ice Charles-Cook into a smart low save from the edge of the six-yard box be­fore Cullen got on the end of a ball over the top, but put his shot wide of the post af­ter the ball fell to him nicely.

Coven­try stepped up their work rate in the sec­ond half with John Fleck hav­ing an in­creas­ing in­flu­ence on the game but Mow­bray’s side were be­ing re­stricted to long-range ef­forts with frus­tra­tion start­ing to creep in.

Mow­bray con­tin­ued: “We had to gam­ble and they had one or two chances which went just wide.

“You have to be mind­ful of that but you have to gam­ble in games like that. If we had got one, their game plan

UN­DER PRES­SURE: Tom Al­dred is given lit­tle space on the ball



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.