Uche left in tears as Bur­ton strike late

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By John Brind­ley

JIMMY Floyd Has­sel­baink put Bur­ton Al­bion’s early sea­son achieve­ments into per­spec­tive af­ter two late goals de­servedly beat Port Vale.

Tom Nay­lor and Nasser El Khay­ati fi­nally put the fin­ish­ing touches to Al­bion’s dom­i­nance with goals in the last six min­utes.

They came af­ter both sides had been re­duced to ten men, with Port Vale’s Uche Ik­peazu sent off for a send yel­low card in the first half af­ter he dived and Robbie Weir re­ceived a straight red with 11 min­utes re­main­ing.

Has­sel­baink said: “What we are do­ing is incredible, be­ing able to com­pete against the big­ger boys in this divi­sion such as Sh­effield United, Wi­gan and Coven­try.

“We needed our squad out there and you have to give credit to the play­ers.

“Port Vale made it very dif­fi­cult for us. Teams will come here now and shut up shop and it’s up to us to find a way to break them down.

“We played the game out very well and it was a big win for us.We will keep fight­ing and there’s a real spirit in this team.”

Opin­ions were di­vided on referee Dave Coote’s han­dling of Vale striker Uche Ik­peazu, who left the field in floods of tears af­ter be­ing given two yel­low cards in the open­ing 26 min­utes.

The first was for a fierce aerial chal­lenge on Weir, the sec­ond for tum­bling in­side the Bur­ton box.

Has­sel­baink thought the striker was lucky to sur­vive the first in­ci­dent but Vale boss Rob Page was hav­ing none of it.

“Yes, there was con­tact – but this is a con­tact sport,” Page said.

“Uche has kept his eyes firmly on the ball when he went for the chal­lenge. In the sec­ond in­ci­dent, he went down but bounced straight back up again.

“To play with ten men for that length of time is a big ask and it was harsh for us to de­fend like we did and come away beaten 2-0.

“Doddsy (Louis Dodds) should have had a clear penalty be­fore they broke away for their sec­ond goal.

“I don’t think any de­ci­sions went our way out there. I can un­der­stand the im­pa­tience of the fans.” Bur­ton turned the game into vir­tual at­tack against defence in the sec­ond half, with Ryan McGivern twice get­ting his head to goal-bound shots and An­thony Grant clear­ing off the line

Iron­i­cally af­ter see­ing mid­fielder Weir get a straight red for a reck­less chal­lenge on Sam Fo­ley, Al­bion fi­nally broke through when Nay­lor steered a header past Jak Al­nwick from six yards from sub­sti­tute Zeli Ismail’s cross.

Al­bion re­fused to sit on their ad­van­tage and El Khay­ati waltzed into the penalty area in the 90th minute to add a su­perbly­taken sec­ond goal.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.