Saun­ders fumes as Gary runs ram­pant

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Lee Jones

BOSS Dean Saun­ders ac­cused referee Dar­ren England of ‘de­cid­ing the game’ as Chester­field crashed to their heav­i­est de­feat of the sea­son.

While the score­line made the match look onesided, there was noth­ing be­tween the teams un­til home de­fender Dan Jones was sent off in the 55th minute for tak­ing out Gary McSheffrey just in­side the penalty area.

Paddy Mad­den scored the re­sult­ing spot kick and later added his sec­ond goal af­ter McSheffrey had dou­bled his side’s lead with a stun­ning strike from range.

Saun­ders’ gripe rested on a chal­lenge from Iron full-back Scott Wise­man, who some­how es­caped a sec­ond book­ing when he flew into a chal­lenge sec­onds af­ter be­ing yel­low-carded.

“I’m flab­ber­gasted how he hasn’t sent Scott Wise­man off – Scun­thorpe ac­tu­ally brought him off af­ter it, which says it all,” fumed Saun­ders.

“Twenty sec­onds af­ter he booked him he’s got an­other big de­ci­sion to make. He ob­vi­ously felt the two were too close to­gether, which is wrong.

“I thought we played okay.Ten min­utes into the sec­ond half I thought we were on top and go­ing to win, but they broke and we gave away the foul.

“It was de­bate­able whether it was in the box but McSheffrey used all his ex­pe­ri­ence, whereas Dan is a bit naive. He said he couldn’t get out the way.

“The sec­ond was a goal of the sea­son and the third got a de­flec­tion. So while it looks like we’ve just got beaten 3-0, we ac­tu­ally played well.The referee de­cided the game.”

Only the hero­ics of Spire­ites keeper Tommy Lee, who pulled off a bril­liant dou­ble save to keep out McSheffrey’s free-kick and the fol­low-up from Mur­ray Wal­lace, kept the game goal­less at half­time.

Mad­den’s penalty, hit low and to the right of cen­tre, came slightly against the run of play, but Scun­thorpe’s sec­ond goal, volleyed into the top cor­ner by McSheffrey was breath-tak­ing.

The hosts hit the bar via a free-kick from Jay O’Shea, be­fore Mad­den fired in his ninth of the cam­paign in the 78th minute.

It was the Iron’s big­gest win of the sea­son and also came ac­com­pa­nied by a first clean sheet on their trav­els in more than a year.

“I thought it was a re­ally good away per­for­mance, but the clean sheet I’m de­lighted with,” beamed their boss Mark Robins. “We were bet­ter in both penalty ar­eas over the 90 min­utes and I thought we had some re­ally good op­por­tu­ni­ties to score.

“In the first half they had the goal­keeper to thank and we were slightly dis­ap­pointed it was 0-0 at half-time.

“Chester­field started the sec­ond half bet­ter, but we got the penalty and the send­ing off opened the game up.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.