Cole­man won’t stick a Dag­ger in Bur­nett

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Jack Parker

AF­TER watch­ing his side climb into the play-offs with a com­fort­able vic­tory, Ac­cring­ton Stan­ley man­ager John Cole­man emerged in defence of his op­po­site num­ber, rather than pop­ping the cham­pagne corks.

An early Sea­mus Con­neely goal set Ac­cring­ton on their way, with Matty Pear­son adding the sec­ond their dom­i­nance de­served in first-half in­jury time. Shortly af­ter the break Josh Win­dass got in on the act and al­though Ny­ron Nos­wor­thy hit back in re­ply, Da­gen­ham & Red­bridge were well beaten.

While Ac­cring­ton now sit sev­enth, the Dag­gers are rock bot­tom of the Foot­ball League, but Cole­man in­sists Wayne Bur­nett is the right man for the job.

“I think Da­gen­ham have been a great side for the last few years and I think their man­ager is com­ing in for un­fair crit­i­cism,” he said.

“I think Wayne’s a smash­ing lad, he’s got a great out­look on foot­ball and I watched them four times last sea­son and they were ex­cel­lent. They’ve lost a lot of good play­ers from the end of last sea­son. Well we got the re­sponse I wanted. There’s been a lot of harsh words said and a lot of open talk­ing gone on this week by all par­ties.

“We em­brace the play­ers, we like them to have a say and I’ve told them where I think we can im­prove.”

Ac­cring­ton took the lead as early as the sec­ond minute through Con­neely as Da­gen­ham failed to deal with Win­dass’ cor­ner and he fired past Dag­gers goal­keeper Liam O’Brien.

They dou­bled that ad­van­tage in first-half stop­page time as Pear­son rose high­est from a cor­ner to head past a help­less O’Brien.

The hosts were 3-0 up shortly af­ter the break. Piero Min­goia’s teas­ing run re­sulted in a pin-point cross for Win­dass who nod­ded in from closerange. Da­gen­ham pulled one back just af­ter the hour as vet­eran de­fender Nos­wor­thy fired in from close range af­ter Stan­ley had failed to clear.

Stan­ley thought they had scored again when Joe Wright headed home from a cor­ner only for the as­sis­tant referee to raise his flag, but it mat­tered lit­tle.

“It wasn’t a good per­for­mance, the goal­keeper kept us in it,” Bur­nett said. “There were only two play­ers who could come out of the game with and any credit.

“We were 1-0 down af­ter two min­utes and we hadn’t played well in the first-half but if we’d come in at 1-0 we’d have been still in the game but we gave away a stupid cor­ner, then we con­cede again and the game’s over. I will never openly pub­li­cally crit­i­cise my play­ers but there were only two play­ers here who could say they were OK.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.