The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

DEREK Adams felt it was a typ­i­cal Ply­mouth Ar­gyle per­for­mance af­ter his side left it very late to re­main top of the League Two ta­ble thanks to a 2-1 win at Lu­ton. The vis­i­tors had taken the lead af­ter a quar­ter of an hour, through Carl McHugh, only for Josh McQuoid to level things up for the Hat­ters on 76 min­utes.

But Pil­grims striker Ryan Brunt net­ted in stop­page time with his first league goal of the sea­son af­ter Lu­ton had been re­duced to ten men, when home sub Ryan Hall was shown a sec­ond yel­low.

Adams said: “We did ever so well for long pe­ri­ods of the game, but to fin­ish the way we did was typ­i­cal Ply­mouth Ar­gyle. We’ve shown a great de­ter­mi­na­tion to go and win a foot­ball match, and that’s what you get, you get the re­wards.

“They were press­ing and they were al­ways go­ing to that, they’re at home, with the fans be­hind them.

“They were go­ing to put us un­der pres­sure, but I thought the first half we were ex­cel­lent, caused Lu­ton a lot of prob­lems but in the sec­ond half they’re al­ways go­ing to do some­thing dif­fer­ent.

“We tried to get play­ers for­ward and you’ve got to try and deal with that.We dealt with it, they con­ceded a goal and then af­ter that we pushed for­ward to get the win­ner.”

Ar­gyle went in front on 15 min­utes when Craig Tan­ner’s de­liv­ery was flicked into the net by the head of McHugh.

Tan­ner’s long-range at­tempt was then fum­bled away by Mark Tyler, while Lu­ton’s best chance saw Jack Mar­riott’s close-range cross shot par­ried by the legs of Luke McCormick.

Hat­ters stop­per Tyler blocked an­other Tan­ner at­tempt and Hi­ram Boateng lofted the re­bound dis­ap­point­ingly over the top. Luke Gut­tridge’s swerv­ing at­tempt was held by McCormick, be­fore Tyler made a great save to deny Gra­ham Carey on the stroke of half time.

In the sec­ond pe­riod, the hosts’ Cameron McGee­han headed nar­rowly wide from a deep cross, while Nathan Doyle’s long ranger was scram­bled away by McCormick.

The Hat­ters were level on 76 min­utes when McGee­han’s shot was well saved by McCormick only for McQuoid to nod the re­bound over the line from a mat­ter of yards.

Lu­ton were re­duced to ten men with five min­utes to go when sub Ryan Hall was dis­missed for his sec­ond book­ing in the space of 60 sec­onds, when kick­ing the ball away.

That saw Ply­mouth make the most of their nu­mer­i­cal ad­van­tage, as Brunt, who had a short stay with Lu­ton on loan ear­lier in his ca­reer, ap­plied a close-range fin­ish to win it.

Lu­ton boss John Still said: “I thought first half they might have the slight edge but there was not a lot in it and the sec­ond half we were ter­rific.

“Af­ter the red card, we pushed the full backs on, we tried to win it, we were pos­i­tive, did every­thing we could to try and win it and we got beat. And you know what, I don’t care, as we did every­thing right. We’ve played re­ally well, the boys are very dis­ap­pointed, but they’ve no need to be.”

PIC­TURES: Gareth Owen

SMART CARL: Carl McHugh cel­e­brates his opener for Ply­mouth while, be­low, Ryan Brunt nets his last­gasp win­ner STAR MAN CRAIG TAN­NER


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.