The Football League Paper - - WOMEN'S FOOTBALL WEEKLY - By Sheri­dan Robins

DERBY COUNTY rose to the sum­mit of the Women’s Pre­mier League North af­ter a pul­sat­ing match with Black­burn Rovers. The Rams came from be­hind twice to se­cure a 43 win and leave them three points clear at the top.

Rovers were ahead af­ter just two min­utes when So­phie Jones’ shot eluded Rams keeper Sarah Mor­gan. But af­ter 13 min­utes Derby were level, set­ting the tone for a lively en­counter. Melissa John­son chipped the de­spair­ing Black­burn keeper, be­fore Jones added a sec­ond af­ter half an hour.

But in a fran­tic end to the half Derby hit back with two goals in two min­utes, as Aimee Perry sent them level from a cor­ner and John­son struck a su­perb vol­ley just be­fore the break.

Aimee Perry added a fourth af­ter 67 min­utes, but Rovers re­duced the deficit ten min­utes later to en­sure a nervy fin­ish for the lead­ers.

Hud­der­s­field swept aside

strug­gling Lough­bor­ough

Foxes 7-0, with Emily Heck­ler hit­ting a hat-trick for the Ter­ri­ers, while Guise­ley’s match at New­cas­tle and Brad­ford’s visit to Sport­ing Al­bion were post­poned. In the South­ern Pre­mier,

Brighton are still yet to be beaten af­ter an im­pres­sive 32 win against in-form


Kate Natkiel was on tar­get af­ter just seven min­utes for Al­bion as she cut in­side on the right and beat Michelle Bea­z­ley in the Portsmouth goal. But three min­utes later Imi Umo­tong’s long-range strike lev­elled things up.

Af­ter the break Brighton stepped it up a gear and, af­ter some fran­tic play in the box, Lucy Somes even­tu­ally bun­dled the ball home on 57 min­utes.

Amy Tay­lor gave the lead­ers a two goal cush­ion later in the half, only for Portsmouth to hit back in stop­page time thanks to sub­sti­tute Emma Sher­wood’s late free-kick.

But Brighton held on for their 11th win of the sea­son, leav­ing them four points clear at the top.

Cardiff City lie in sec­ond place de­spite slip­ping to a 30 de­feat at home to

Coventr y United, thanks to three sec­ond half goals.

Cristina Tork­ild­sen gave them the lead, be­fore He­len Der­mody scored twice in two min­utes to se­cure the points for the vis­i­tors.

West Ham suf­fered once again, af­ter their 8-1 thrash­ing by Charl­ton, as they sur­ren­dered a two goal lead against Lewes.

The vis­i­tors trav­elled with just 12 play­ers due to an in­jury cri­sis, but the Ham­mers started well. Paige An­der­son-James struck af­ter 22 min­utes thanks largely to a goal­keep­ing er­ror from Holly Au­gus­tus.

And Rom­ina Pinna then cap­i­talised on some more ques­tion­able de­fend­ing as her shot from 20 yards gave them a two goal cush­ion at the break.

But it was a late show from Lewes as de­fender Natasha Wells struck in the 81st minute. West Ham des­per­ately tried to hold on to a much­needed three points, but it was in in­jury time that the equaliser ar­rived, when a dan­ger­ous free kick was per­fectly placed for Ju­lia Louis-Joseph to smash the ball home in style and com­plet­ing Lewes’ dra­matic come­back.

TA­BLE TOP­PERS: Derby went top with a win over Rovers

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.