The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By John McDougall

SEAN Dy­che lauded his side’s goalscor­ing abil­i­ties af­ter hot-shot striker An­dre Gray fired Burn­ley to vic­tory over Hud­der­s­field at Turf Moor.

Gray’s sev­enth goal in Burn­ley colours came from the spot and handed the Clarets an early lead be­fore he added his eighth just be­fore the break, though Michael Duff put through his own net late on to halve the deficit.

And de­spite hit­ting the tar­get twice in 30 min­utes, Dy­che re­vealed the club’s record sign­ing is un­fazed by the prospect of not see­ing ev­ery chance go in.

“One of the main qual­i­ties he’s got is I don’t think there’s a fear of miss­ing and I love that about cen­tre for­wards,” he said. “He’s got that free­dom, if he misses I don’t think he’s both­ered, I think he waits for the one that he scores and that’s a great mind­set to have and I think Sam Vokes has got that now.

“Two very good goals.The first goal comes off an 11 pass move from our keeper all the way through the mid­field into the for­wards, al­low­ing An­dre to get in be­hind for a penalty of course.

“The sec­ond goal was very sim­i­lar, very good move­ment, very good pas­sage of play, fine link-up play be­tween Sam Vokes and Gray for a su­perb strike I felt.”

The hosts won a 12th-minute penalty when Joel Lynch brought down Clarets striker Gray, and the ex-Brent­ford man picked him­self up to coolly slot home.

East Lan­cashire derby hero Scott Ar­field drifted in from the left and smartly found Vokes who un­leashed a 21st-minute right-footed curl­ing ef­fort which Jed Steer dealt with com­fort­ably.

Gray gave Lynch prob­lems again on the half-hour af­ter rob­bing the de­fender of pos­ses­sion and teed up Ge­orge Boyd who forced Steer into a low save.

And the lively Gray slot­ted away his sec­ond with ruth­less ef­fi­ciency af­ter run­ning onto Vokes’ 43rd-minute through-ball and fir­ing clin­i­cally past Steer.

Af­ter the break, from Tom Heaton’s ball, Hud­der­s­field failed to clear their lines and Vokes drove a pow­er­ful ef­fort straight at Steer.

From David Jones’ 56th-minute cor­ner, ex-Manch­ester United trainee Michael Keane lifted a loop­ing header at the back­post just over.

Hud­der­s­field had a golden chance to grab one back 15 min­utes be­fore full-time when Jamie Pater­son’s lob found sub­sti­tute Nahki Wells, but the Town striker blasted over with the goal gap­ing.

Ter­ri­ers record sign­ing Wells did bet­ter mo­ments later when he turned on the edge of the area and drew a de­cent div­ing 77th-minute save from Heaton.

As Hud­der­s­field pressed, Emyr Huws col­lected a loose ball on the edge of the area and fired at Heaton, with the stop­per par­ry­ing the 82nd-minute ef­fort to safety.

Jones’ 87th-minute cor­ner was met by Keane whose header re­bounded off the post as Burn­ley looked for a third.

But from Town sub­sti­tute Kyle Dempsey’s low late cross, Clarets skip­per Duff put the ball past a help­less Heaton to give Hud­der­s­field late hope.

Town boss Chris Pow­ell said: “Maybe the equaliser came a bit too late but I thought our sec­ond half per­for­mance was needed af­ter the first half and I got a very good re­sponse.

“I’m proud of their re­sponse and how they stuck to the task in the sec­ond pe­riod. An­dre Gray showed his class with the sec­ond goal, that’s why you pay the money and get a player who did very well last year and it’s a good buy for Sean and for Burn­ley.

“But my play­ers did what I asked them at half-time and maybe if there was an­other five min­utes, we pos­si­bly could have got some­thing from it.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Images

SPOT ON: An­dre Gray scores the first goal for Burn­ley and cel­e­brates, in­set

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.