The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE -

FOR­MER Bolton Wan­der­ers striker Dean Holdsworth is fronting a con­sor­tium hope­ful of com­plet­ing a takeover of the club next week.

The 47-year-old stepped down from his po­si­tion as man­ager of Non-League side Brent­wood Town on Tues­day, say­ing: “I didn’t want to let them down due to other com­mit­ments.”

Owner Ed­die Davies has been keen to sell the Trot­ters – who sit sec­ond from bot­tom in the Cham­pi­onship ta­ble with one win from 16 games – with the ask­ing price said to be £30m.

Holdsworth, who scored 52 goals in five years at Bolton, is cur­rently listed as the sole di­rec­tor of com­pany Sports Shield Con­sul­tancy, who pro­vide fi­nan­cial ad­vice to play­ers and clubs.

The Sky Blues’ vic­tory at Colch­ester United saw them go level on points with Gilling­ham at the sum­mit, but Mow­bray is just con­cen­trat­ing on pick­ing up more points.

“I’m not really think­ing about the fact that we’re joint top,” he said

“It’s just about us try­ing to ac­cu­mu­late the points. It’s the next three points for us. Gilling­ham won again and that will be a test for us next week­end.

“Colch­ester is a dif­fi­cult place to come to and they’ve got some ex­pe­ri­enced play­ers. It’s a dif­fi­cult game. I know a couple of them didn’t play be­cause of the in­ter­na­tional break but the teams at the top keep win­ning.

“It was a de­cent team per­for­mance. We dom­i­nated it for long spells and we made a good re­cov­ery from go­ing be­hind. We con­trolled the game and we de­served the points.

“We were fully re­spect­ful of this Colch­ester team and the threat they carry.

“And Ja­cob Mur­phy stepped up to the plate with­out [on-loan New­cas­tle striker Adam] Arm­strong. He’s been do­ing so well on the wing for us but I’m de­lighted that he got his goals, and For­tune as well.

“It was a great trav­el­ling sup­port and I hope they are trav­el­ling back up the road pleased.”

Colch­ester man­ager Tony Humes felt that the con­test hinged on the mo­ment Marvin Sordell’s shot hit the in­side of a post and rolled across the line, with the U’s lead­ing 1-0 at the time.

Humes said: “Marvin had a great op­por­tu­nity and hit the post with it go­ing across the face of goal, which would have made it 2-0.

“It was the de­ci­sive mo­ment – if it had gone in then Coven­try would have prob­a­bly had to chase the game more.

“Coven­try started the game very brightly. They put us on the back foot and it was a bit of a sur­prise when we got the first goal and took the lead. But we stuck at it and then it be­came a game of fine mar­gins.

“Their first goal was a ques­tion­able off­side and their sec­ond goal was from a free-kick, one of many ques­tion­able de­ci­sions by the ref­eree [Gra­ham Hor­wood]. It was very, very soft and we found our­selves be­hind in a game where we could eas­ily have been 2-0 up.

“The third goal just af­ter half­time killed us really – we ended up chas­ing and Coven­try ended up block­ing the game off.”

Jim O’Brien fired into the side-net­ting for Coven­try early on but Colch­ester took a 17th-minute lead through Ma­cauley Bonne, who con­verted Cal­lum Har­riott’s low cross.

Ge­orge Mon­cur’s free-kick was saved by Coven­try goal­keeper Re­ice Charles-Cook while Sordell hit a post be­fore Mur­phy equalised for Coven­try just af­ter the half-hour, the mid­fielder fir­ing home af­ter Tom East­man had blocked Marc-An­toine For­tune’s low cross.

Coven­try made it 2-1 just be­fore half-time when a quick free-kick saw Mur­phy pounce on Frankie Kent’s slip to score his sec­ond.

And the Sky Blues went fur­ther ahead just af­ter the half-time break when For­tune tapped in af­ter goal­keeper Jamie Jones had fum­bled Ruben Lameiras’s low cross.

Charles-Cook de­nied Colch­ester sub­sti­tute Gavin Massey late on but Coven­try were wor­thy of a third straight league win.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.