Old­ham’s fine form on road con­tin­ues

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Matt Cham­bers

OLD­HAM man­ager David Dunn hailed his team’s never-say-die at­ti­tude as a sec­ond-half turn­around se­cured three points.

A goal from livewire for­ward Do­minic Poleon was fol­lowed by an 87th-minute win­ner cred­ited to Danny Philliskirk, can­celling out Syl­van Ebanks-Blake’s sixth of the sea­son as the Spire­ites fell to a fifth league de­feat on home soil.

It was only Dunn’s sec­ond win as a man­ager, and one that helped keep alive Old­ham’s re­mark­able un­beaten record away from home in 2015-16.

And the rookie boss ad­mit­ted it took a half-time rocket to get his play­ers go­ing.

“On our sec­ond-half per­for­mance we de­served it,” said Dunn, whose side moved up a place to 18th.

“First half, it wasn’t great watch­ing and we weren’t pen­e­trat­ing their goal as much as we would have liked.

“To go in at half-time 1-0 down some­times isn’t too bad away from home. You can re­group and they got the kick up the back­side they needed.

“We got out of the traps in the sec­ond half.We kept the mo­men­tum well and against a de­cent side who score a lot of goals.

“One thing about us is, when we do go a goal be­hind we don’t half bounce back well. It is a real pos­i­tive for us.”

Ch­ester­field started the game the brighter amid a som­bre at­mos­phere with an Old­ham fan treated in the away stand for a heart at­tack. He was later taken to a nearby hos­pi­tal for treat­ment.

Ebanks-Blake scored the open­ing goal af­ter an over­lap­ping run from Daniel Jones caught Old­ham out.The left-back’s cross de­flected to the for­mer Wolves star and his fin­ish was em­phatic.

Liam Kelly went close for Old­ham from long range but it wasn’t un­til af­ter the in­ter­val that they started to show real pur­pose. Sub­sti­tute Giro­gio Ra­sulo had an al­most im­me­di­ate im­pact, his shot spilled by Lee with Poleon fol­low­ing in to net his fourth goal of the sea­son.

Ra­sulo also played a part in the win­ner. His lay-off was picked up by Philliskirk and a 30-yard shot squirmed un­der goal­keeper Tommy Lee be­fore go­ing in off his back hav­ing hit a post.

Poleon forced an­other save from Lee, but Ch­ester­field strug­gled to get any­thing mean­ing­ful go­ing in re­sponse.

“The con­di­tions were hor­rific and it was bor­der­ing on nearly be­ing called off at one point,” said Spire­ites boss Dean Saunders.“Pud­dles were ap­pear­ing on the pitch and it was dif­fi­cult for both teams.

“It was really dan­ger­ous in the mid­dle of the field. Play­ers were slip­ping over a lot and there were lots of mis­takes.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.