The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

BAR­NET boss Martin Allen felt his side paid the price for a dip in stan­dards as they lost their five-game un­beaten run.

Lu­ton took the lead through Danny Green’s rasp­ing strike on 25 min­utes, be­fore the Bees threat­ened early in the sec­ond half.

How­ever, Cameron McGee­han’s eighth goal of the cam­paign mid­way through the half put the re­sult be­yond doubt.

“I think we did al­right, but it was just about al­right and to come here you’ve got to do bet­ter than al­right,” said Allen.

“Af­ter we weath­ered the ini­tial storm, I thought we were in con­trol. We had sev­eral good op­por­tu­ni­ties where crosses have gone across the six-yard box but no-one’s been in there to con­vert or get ahead of their de­fend­ers.

“We’ve got to make those chances hap­pen.When you come here you’ve got to be on your game.

“At 1-0, I wouldn’t say we were dom­i­nat­ing the game, but ev­ery­thing was down at their end.They’ve scored on the counter at­tack which is dis­ap­point­ing.

“Over the past month the whole squad has been ab­so­lutely fan­tas­tic but I think it’s fair to say we dipped be­low our stan­dards.”

Lu­ton broke the dead­lock on 25 min­utes as Josh McQuoid burst for­ward to tee up the re­called Green who lashed his shot past Jamie Stephens from the edge of the box.

McGee­han then tried his luck from dis­tance twice, with Stephens hav­ing to change di­rec­tion to save the sec­ond de­flected at­tempt.

McQuoid al­most scored him­self, his header from Alex Lawless’ cross forc­ing Stephens to palm be­hind.

Bar­net should have lev­elled im­me­di­ately af­ter the break as John Akinde side-footed Andy Yi­adom’s cross wide.

The Hat­ters threat­ened spo­rad­i­cally, their best chance fall­ing to Jonathan Smith, who couldn’t keep his vol­ley from 12 yards down. McQuoid then sent a curler wide, be­fore he had his sec­ond as­sist on 67 min­utes, beat­ing the off­side trap and his cross see­ing McGee­han sweep home the re­bound af­ter Smith’s shot had been saved.

Smith and McGee­han came close to a clinch­ing third, but Bar­net couldn’t re­spond, as Lu­ton moved up to tenth in the ta­ble with a third straight win.

And Hat­ters boss John Still was de­lighted with a dis­play that saw his side win at home for the first time since Septem­ber 26.

Still said: “It was a strong per­for­mance and first half I thought we were bet­ter than the score­line.

“Sec­ond half we said it would be tough, I wanted to play the ball a bit shorter due to the con­di­tions.

“It took us 15 min­utes to get into it, but give them their due, they threw men for­ward with­out cre­at­ing chances.

“When we got our sec­ond one, I thought we were com­fort­able. We de­fended really well for the whole game and I really think we can push on.

“I was really pleased all round as we needed in th­ese con­di­tions to be quite com­mit­ted and we were.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.