The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Spit­tles

PAUL STUR­ROCK ad­mit­ted Tom Pett’s late equaliser was a kick in the teeth as it de­nied Yeovil their first home win since Au­gust and stopped the Glovers climb­ing out of the League Two rel­e­ga­tion zone.

The home side had recorded back-to­back cup vic­to­ries and looked set to con­tinue their win­ning run as they led 2-1 with just two min­utes left.

But then Pett popped up to meet Con­nor Ogilvie’s free-kick with a flicked header which looped into the net to make it 2-2.

Yeovil twice led through goals from Harry Cor­nick and Shaun Jef­fers but were pegged back by Dean Wells’ lev­eller be­fore Pett’s late strike.

Yeovil boss Stur­rock said: “It feels like we’ve been kicked in the teeth again be­cause we did enough to win the game and our tough sched­ule just caught up with us at the end of the game.

“We’ve had three games in less than a week and we looked tired in the last ten min­utes or so when we made poor de­ci­sions and gave away sloppy free-kicks.

“If some­one had told me that we’d get two wins and a draw from the three games I would have snapped their hand off, but there’s a dis­ap­point­ment be­cause we didn’t get our re­ward for a good per­for­mance.

“We ran out of steam and showed our naivety to let them back into the game, but we can’t dwell on it be­cause we’ve got an­other big game against New­port next week.”

Steven Schu­macher missed a good early chance for Steve­nage when he shot wide from close range, but it was Yeovil who cre­ated the bet­ter first-half op­por­tu­ni­ties with Omar Sowunmi forc­ing a good save from Chris Day.

The home side de­servedly went ahead on 52 min­utes when Cor­nick skipped past two de­fend­ers be­fore fir­ing in from the edge of the penalty area.

Three min­utes later Steve­nage pulled level when Tom Con­lon’s cor­ner was swept in at the back post by Wells.

An­other three min­utes had passed when Yeovil went ahead again, this time Jef­fers head­ing in Matt Dolan’s cor­ner at the near post.

Yeovil saw Ryan Dick­son hit the post with a long-range shot on 87 min­utes, but just sec­onds later Steve­nage equalised through Pett’s header.

The win means Steve­nage re­main in 20th po­si­tion in League Two, but are five points clear of the Glovers.

As­sis­tant boss Kevin Watson said: “I think we’ve got to be pleased to come here and go away with a point given the way the game has gone.

“We were be­hind twice in the game and have shown great re­silience to come back and get a draw. It’s a wet and windy day and the con­di­tions weren’t great but we kept bat­tling to the end and were re­warded with the equaliser.

“The fans were great to­day and I would urge them to stick with us be­cause we will get things right and start to climb up the ta­ble.”



Steve­nage COM­PO­SURE: Dean Wells of Steve­nage equalises be­fore Yeovil mob Sean Jef­fers, inset, for scor­ing their sec­ond goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.