Burn­ley held by Ip­swich

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By An­drew Gib­ney

SEAN Dy­che was dis­ap­pointed with Burn­ley’s waste­ful­ness in front of goal af­ter the Clarets were held to a goal­less draw by fel­low pro­mo­tion chasers Ip­swich.

Mick McCarthy’s team had gone six games un­beaten be­fore ar­riv­ing at Turf Moor, and the Suf­folk side will be much the hap­pier of the two teams to leave Burn­ley with a share of the points.

Un­doubt­edly, the best chance of the open­ing half fell to Burn­ley’s top scorer An­dre Gray.

With 22 min­utes on the clock, Michael Kightly did very well down the left flank and his low cross picked out the striker on the penalty spot. How­ever, de­spite scor­ing three against Bris­tol City in their last game, the striker couldn’t direct his shot on tar­get.

“I think it was a tight game,” Dy­che ad­mit­ted af­ter the game.

“We’ve had the best chance, and then a couple of maybe bet­ter chances, but it was a tight af­fair against a side who’ve just won five on the trot away from home.”

Chances were at a pre­mium, and af­ter Gray’s miss Burn­ley failed to test Dean Gerken in the Ip­swich net.

With lit­tle space to play with in the mid­dle of the park, both teams reg­u­larly re­sorted to play­ing the long ball, hop­ing to pick out their tall for­wards with a well-placed di­ag­o­nal pass.

“We were close but it was no ci­gar with our fluid play,” con­tin­ued Dy­che.

“We didn’t quite have the con­nect with the wide play­ers and the front play­ers as we have done in the last couple of games.

“But com­ing off two 4-0s and get an­other clean sheet – I think that’s nine this sea­son – that side of the game is pleas­ing.”

Sam Vokes made his in­ten­tions known within the open­ing min­utes, go­ing strong into a chal­lenge with Christophe Berra. It was hard but fair and set the tone for the rest of the match, a view that McCarthy backed up af­ter the game.

“I think it was a great game, it was a tough game,” he said.

“The marker was made on the very first chal­lenge and it con­tin­ued un­til the 90th minute. It was two teams who were really com­pet­i­tive, nei­ther were go­ing to give an inch.

“There weren’t a lot of chances, two or three shots Heaton’s had to save, but they’ve gone straight down his neck in the end.”

Once he got back up, Berra was ex­cep­tional, giv­ing Gray and Vokes a dif­fi­cult time through the whole game.

Very lit­tle got past the Scot­land in­ter­na­tional and the away side were well-or­gan­ised and tough to break down.

One mo­ment of con­tention came late in the first half when Burn­ley’s Ben Mee had the ball in the net, only for the ref­eree to sig­nal the cen­tre-back had com­mit­ted a foul in the build-up to the strike.

His ini­tial header was saved by Gerken, but the whis­tle sounded as Mee fol­lowed it up, a de­ci­sion that Dy­che ques­tioned af­ter the game.

“I didn’t think it was a foul for Mee’s goal, and it doesn’t look like it on the mon­i­tor af­ter­wards, but any form of con­tact now and it’s some form of foul.”

On an­other day, Burn­ley could have picked up three points, but the away side will be much the hap­pier on their long trip home.

“Burn­ley are a good team, with a real tough­ness about them,” McCarthy told the press af­ter the game.

“We are both be­hind the likes of Derby and Mid­dles­brough in terms of spend­ing power, but we’ve got that team spirit and that goes a long way in this league.

“Burn­ley are the same, but they came up against a good team out there.”

NO WAY THROUGH: Burn­ley’s Michael Kightly shoots at goal as both sides drew a blank


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.