Karel fed up with the boo boys

The Football League Paper - - CHAM­PI­ONSHIP - By Ge­orge Thorpe

KAREL Fra­eye has urged protest­ing fans to get be­hind Charl­ton Ath­letic and back them in their bid for sur­vival in the Cham­pi­onship.

On-loan striker Si­mon Makienok can­celled out Ben Os­born’s firsthalf goal to see the points split be­tween the Ad­dicks, who were re­duced to ten men in the 76th minute af­ter Tareiq Holmes-Den­nis was sent off, and For­est.

Be­fore and af­ter the clash, a large group of Charl­ton fans stood out­side the West Stand to voice their dis­gust at the club’s board­room team in­clud­ing owner Roland Duchatelet, with chants de­mand­ing their club back.

Af­ter the game, Fra­eye said: “I think ev­ery team play­ing at home or even away, the sup­port is very, very im­por­tant and it af­fects mostly the play­ers’ per­for­mance on the pitch.

“Out there, they re­ally gave a lot of en­ergy to the team. I think we played an even first half like the last game against Wolves and it was a tight game.

“Even with ten men, we were still look­ing for the win­ner and I think the team showed great de­sire and fight­ing spirit to the very last minute and I thought we were the team that wanted to win the most.”

Fol­low­ing a lack­lus­tre open­ing 25 min­utes, re­turn­ing loa­nee player Cal­lum Har­riott nearly gave Charl­ton the lead when his shot was de­flected just wide.

The vis­i­tors came into the as­cen­dancy to­wards the end of the half and a minute be­fore the break, they took the lead as Men­des cut the ball back to Os­born, who curled a right footed shot past Stephen Hen­der- son for his first goal of the sea­son.

Fra­eye brought Jo­hann Berg Gud­munds­son on at half-time and the Ice­landic mid­fielder nearly had an im­me­di­ate im­pact when he saw an on-tar­get shot blocked by Jack Hobbs.

The Ad­dicks kept the pres­sure up and Makienok forced Dorus de Vries to make a fine save af­ter the Dane got a touch to Jor­dan Cousins’ header in the 58th minute.

Makienok, who over­all was hav­ing a tor­rid game, would not make any mis­take though in the 70th minute when he equalised, stretch­ing his lanky torso out to reach Har­riott’s cross from the left.

Just when things looked to be im­prov­ing for Charl­ton, an er­ror came with 14 min­utes re­main­ing when sub­sti­tute Holmes-Den­nis picked up his sec­ond book­ing in the space of five min­utes for tug­ging back Os­born, mak­ing him the sev­enth player ref­eree Trevor Ket­tle has sent off this sea­son.

The vis­i­tors nearly snatched vic­tory in in­jury time as Naby Sarr made a mess of clear­ing the ball, but thank­fully for the Ad­dicks, Harry Len­non got back to make a last-ditch tackle.

Har­riott also had a chance to grab a win­ner at the end as he forced a save from de Vries.

For­est boss Dougie Freed­man ad­mit­ted his team needs a more ruth­less streak but added the at­mos­phere in the ground seemed to re­ally help their hosts.

“I think for 60 min­utes we looked in con­trol and passed quite well and had op­por­tu­ni­ties,” Freed­man said.

“But when they went down to ten men, it gave them a lift and the crowd re­ally gave them en­ergy.

“If you don’t kill a team off, es­pe­cially in the Cham­pi­onship, you are go­ing to be vul­ner­a­ble and that is what hap­pened to us.

“It is tough when you come into an at­mos­phere like this and it helps when your sup­port is right be­hind the team and credit to Charl­ton’s fans, they got be­hind their team for the whole 90 min­utes.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

SLIDE RULE: For­est’s Ryan Men­des tus­sles with Charl­ton’s Harry Len­non

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.