Win­nall con­demns Shrews to drop zone

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Stu­art Dunn By Dun­can Robin­son

BARNS­LEY’S League One re­vival con­tin­ued as top scorer Sam Win­nall’s firsthalf dou­ble strike paved the way for vic­tory over Shrews­bury and head coach Lee John­son was im­pressed with his lead­ing man.

Win­nall briefly spent time at Shrews­bury on loan ear­lier in his ca­reer and he en­joyed his re­turn to Green­hous Meadow by in­spir­ing the Oak­well men to a third suc­ces­sive League One vic­tory.

Shrews­bury now find them­selves in the bot­tom four in League One and have con­ceded ten goals in their last two league games ei­ther side of an FA Cup third round vic­tory at Cham­pi­onship side Cardiff.

John­son was pleased with his side’s dis­play and saluted the qual­ity of Win­nall’s fin­ish­ing.

“I think that he’s been very good in the last six or seven weeks,” said John­son.“He’s grown in con­fi­dence and I think we’ve helped him a lit­tle bit out­side the box and he’s al­ways had the con­fi­dence in­side the box.

“He’s a goalscorer, he scores many dif­fer­ent types of goals and you can see how much it means to him when he scores.

“He wants to be up there in the top of the charts and he’s prob­a­bly pretty close now.

“We’ve tried to stay re­ally con­sis­tent, apol­o­gise for our bad form ear­lier on in the sea­son and rec­tify it,” he added.

“It looks like we’ve got 13, 14 play­ers now that we can go and have a de­cent game in any League One game at the mo­ment and a cou­ple to come off the bench.”

Barns­ley were re­warded for a bright start when Win­nall latched onto a long clear­ance from goal­keeper Adam Davies to fire them into a 15thminute lead.

It quickly got bet­ter for the vis­i­tors when Win­nall ran at the Shrews­bury de­fence and ar­rowed a low shot from the edge of the box to the bot­tom cor­ner of the net. Shrews­bury ral­lied as the in­ter­val ap­proached but Andy Man­gan, hav­ing had his shirt pulled by James Bree, saw the re­sult­ing penalty im­pres­sively saved by Davies. The Barns­ley keeper then shone again to tip a header from Nat Knight-Per­ci­val just over the bar.

Shrews­bury boss Micky Mel­lon re­sponded by mak­ing a triple change at the in­ter­val but chances were hard to come by be­fore Barns­ley moved fur­ther clear in the 72nd minute when de­fender Al­fie Maw­son fol­lowed up to score from close range.

“Pretty much ev­ery­thing that we did at Cardiff, the shape, the or­gan­i­sa­tion, the press­ing, we didn’t do from the front right through to the back,” said Mel­lon.

“The goals that we gave away are ap­palling – I’ve got to be hon­est and say that.”

IF A SIGN of a pro­mo­tion-win­ning team is how they re­spond to set­backs then Gary Cald­well reck­ons Wi­gan de­liv­ered in spades af­ter putting their stun­ning mid­week col­lapse to one side.

Sh­effield United scored three goals in 20 min­utes to clinch a draw against the Lat­ics on Tues­day – but there was no sign of such com­pla­cency here.

Max Power, Reece James and Michael Jacobs all struck in the first half and de­spite a late Ol­lie Banks con­so­la­tion, Ch­ester­field were never in the race.

Wi­gan are well and truly on the march to­wards pro­mo­tion, hav­ing lost just twice in their last 20 league games.

And Cald­well said:“I thought the per­for­mance was very sim­i­lar for the first 66 min­utes against Sh­effield United. We showed real hunger from the first minute.

“We got a re­ac­tion to the fi­nal 24 min­utes on Tues­day night as we were all hurt­ing af­ter that game.They re­sponded in the right way with a re­ally pos­i­tive per­for­mance

“I think whilst foot­ball is a phys­i­cal game, a lot of it is men­tal. I said it was a cer­tainty that we would go three up in this game and it’s not easy af­ter what hap­pened in mid­week.

“We need to fo­cus on our job but I am sure that if we per­form like that then we will be there or there­abouts come the end.”

The home side took the early ini­tia­tive on six min­utes, when mid­fielder Power gave Spire­ites keeper Tommy Lee no chance with a thun­der­bolt of a free-kick from 25 yards. Ch­ester­field should have equalised when Lee No­vak was put clean through but Wi­gan keeper Jussi Jaaske­lainen raced out of his goal to clear.

And they were left to rue the chance as Wi­gan scored two goals in two min­utes and seem­ingly put the game to bed be­fore half time. First left-back James curled in a shot af­ter be­ing left in too much space out­side the penalty area by the Ch­ester­field de­fence.

And they made it three al­most im­me­di­ately when Jacobs raced for­ward and placed his ef­fort past Lee.

Wi­gan picked up where they left off early in the se­cond half and nearly scored when the in­creas­ingly in­flu­en­tial Jacobs shot just wide of the tar­get.

Soon af­ter Power shot straight at the keeper af­ter a neat lay off by Haris Vuc­kic as the vis­i­tors con­tin­ued to strug­gle in pos­ses­sion.

The Spire­ites did grow into the game and pull one back on 79 min­utes when Banks poked the ball home from close range, but it was too lit­tle too late.

“Ob­vi­ously it’s dif­fi­cult when your 3-0 down to come back against any­one, ir­re­spec­tive of if it’s Wi­gan,” said Ch­ester­field boss Danny Wil­son.

“Af­ter the dis­ap­point­ment of the first half of course we ral­lied in the se­cond.

“If we had taken more care in cer­tain po­si­tions the score­line could have been a lot dif­fer­ent.

“At the end of the day you can’t al­low teams to be go­ing two or three goals up be­fore you start per­form­ing.

“It’s im­por­tant from now that we take the les­son of the first 45 min­utes.”

PIC­TURES: Me­dia Im­age

CRACKER: Wi­gan's Michael Jacobs cel­e­brates scor­ing their third goal STAR MAN MICHAEL JACOBS




Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.