Wil­liams’ hot streak con­tin­ues for Robins

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Sam Mor­shead

SWIN­DON came from two goals down to se­cure three points for the se­cond time in as many games un­der Luke Wil­liams, as the care­taker man­ager’s in­ter­view for the top job stuck to its Hol­ly­wood script.

Wil­liams took tem­po­rary charge of the County Ground side last month, fol­low­ing the res­ig­na­tion of Martin Ling, and in his two games since the Robins have come from 20 down to beat Southend 4-2, be­fore Satur­day’s 4-3 epic against Crewe.

Nicky Ajose scored twice, while Jon Obika and a Ben Nu­gent own goal helped Swin­don turn a 3-1 half-time deficit into a re­mark­able vic­tory in front of a rau­cous Wilt­shire crowd.

Wil­liams re­mains un­cer­tain about his long-term role, de­spite the sug­ges­tion that chair­man Lee Power will give him con­trol un­til the end of the sea­son, and even he ad­mits that his stint in charge has been tough to eval­u­ate.

“At half-time I was prob­a­bly out of a job and at full-time prob­a­bly back in it,” he said.“The chair­man seems to be sup­port­ive of me and he seems to be happy with my work as a coach.

“Go­ing be­hind is not what we want, it’s not what we plan for, but you can see pas­sion and com­mit­ment in this ag­gres­sive style of play. Of course we need to make some im­prove­ments but over­all I’m very pleased.

“I ex­pect noth­ing. I ex­pect to be told at some point when the chair­man feels it’s the right time.

“I’m not sure that you ever feel ready for your first job but like I said be­fore, I’ve got to­tal con­fi­dence in the chair­man and if the chair­man be­lieves I’m the right per­son at this mo­ment for the club, I will do my best ev­ery sin­gle day.

“If the chair­man de­cides he wants to bring some­body else in there’ll be no sulk­ing from me.”

Ajose opened the scor­ing in the 14th minute be­fore Brad In­man’s dou­ble and Ryan Col­clough’s fine in­di­vid­ual strike put Crewe in con­trol at the in­ter­val.

Within seven se­cond-half min­utes how­ever, the hosts were level thanks to Obika and Nu­gent’s own goal, be­fore Ajose struck a minute into in­jury time.

And vis­it­ing boss Steve Davis could not hide his frus­tra­tion that his side had not killed off the match.

“First half we were ter­rific. We stuck to the game plan very well and we pun­ished them as we planned to do,” he said.

“It could have been four. But ev­ery­thing we spoke about at half time we didn’t do.

“We spoke about be­ing 3-1 up and the dan­gers as­so­ci­ated with a lead.We had to con­tinue to do our jobs but none of the play­ers did that, and we suf­fered as a re­sult.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.