The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE -

PLY­MOUTH bounced back from Tues­day’s dis­ap­point­ing de­feat against Northamp­ton, who they lead the ta­ble from on goal dif­fer­ence.

The Pil­grims ripped into Steve­nage from the first whis­tle and their 3-1

The vis­i­tors hit back three min­utes later when Fraser Franks mis­cued to the back post where Char­lie Lee tapped home from close range.

Ply­mouth were back in front when Jervis jinked his way down the right and crossed for Wylde to plant a header into the roof of the net.

The Pil­grims bom­barded the Steve­nage box with Kelvin Mel­lor let­ting fly with a siz­zling strike that flashed past the far post and Wylde was also only just off tar­get from the edge of the box.

Ply­mouth con­tin­ued to carry the greater threat and Reuben Reid latched on to Carl McHugh’ clip for­ward be­fore forc­ing Day into a fin­ger-tip save. And they al­most lead at the break un­der­lined just how dan­ger­ous they are go­ing for­ward. They were given a tor­rid time early in the stretched their lead in com­i­cal cir­cum­stances on 33 min­utes when Ron­nie Henry tried to clear Reid’s cross only to smash it straight at team-mate Fraser Franks and the ball clipped the cross­bar.

Steve­nage wasted a chance to level eight minute be­fore the in­ter­val, new sign­ing Aaron O’Con­nor head­ing Tom Con­lon’s cor­ner over.

And they were left to rue that miss as Ply­mouth went down the other end to open a two-goal cush­ion. McHugh slipped the ball into the path of Tan­ner and he pro­duced an ac­com­plished fin­ish high into the net.

Soon af­ter Wylde found Tan­ner and his bounc­ing ef­fort dropped inches wide be­fore the mid­fielder se­cond half un­til Steve­nage ran out of steam, and they were com­fort­able in the clos­ing stages.

Pil­grims boss Derek Adams will be hop­ing he gets cre­ative play­maker Gra­ham Carey back from tested Day with a low drive from in­side the box.

Luke McCormick plunged to his left to push Lee’s close-range strike to safety as Steve­nage tore into Ply­mouth af­ter the break.

And the vis­i­tors pun­ished slack Ar­gyle de­fend­ing four min­utes into the se­cond half af­ter Lee slid in to con­vert Dean Par­rett’s right-wing cross.

O’Con­nor’s pow­er­ful hit drew a save out of McCormick and Ar­gyle were made to weather a Steve­nage storm.

But the hosts re­gained their grip on the game mid­way through the half and Day pulled off two smart saves to deny Os­car Threlkeld and Ryan Brunt in quick suc­ces­sion.

Steve­nage boss Teddy Sher­ing­ham fears his side are be­ing dragged into a rel­e­ga­tion bat­tle af­ter go­ing six games with­out a win. in­jury soon to give his side a fresh at­tack­ing di­men­sion, while Steve­nage man­ager Teddy Sher­ing­ham will take pos­i­tives as his new-look side mounted a spir­ited se­cond-half re­cov­ery.

“I am very dis­ap­pointed full stop. We played some good stuff at times but we have to stay switched on for the whole game,” he said.

“We were poor in a lot of stuff we did in the first half and we needed a re­ac­tion. I am pleased we got that but it was too lit­tle too late.

“It is about de­sire and dig­ging in when things are tough. We were a bit too easy to play against and that is why we have ended up with noth­ing out of the game.

“It is all about bounc­ing back now and re­al­is­ing we are in a rel­e­ga­tion bat­tle.”

LET’S DANCE: Char­lie Lee, left, cel­e­brates af­ter scor­ing for Steve­nage but Ply­mouth’s Carl McHugh, right, is also on tar­get STAR MAN JAKE JERVIS Ply­mouth

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.