The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Richard Gar­nett

GARY Cald­well was proud of his play­ers but had to set­tle for a point as high-fly­ing Wi­gan were held by strug­gling Crewe at Gresty Road.

Reece Wabara gave the Lat­ics the lead on 16 min­utes with a sweet strike but the Rail­way­men drew level be­fore the break with an equally em­phatic ex­e­cu­tion from Brad In­man.

De­spite chances at ei­ther end in the se­cond half nei­ther team could cu­rate a win­ner in a re­sult that moved the vis­i­tors up to fourth place in League One.

Cald­well said: “We cre­ated nu­mer­ous chances in the first half and the se­cond half.We’ve played worse than that and won. But I’m happy with the per­for­mance.We’ll take a point and move on.

“From our point of view we’re dis­ap­pointed with the Crewe goal. It’s come from our cor­ner.

“We feel we should have won the game but we’ll have to take that. Foot­ball is some­times like that.

“The fans can be proud of their team and the way they played their game, the way they kept push­ing on and never gave up. It just didn’t fall for us. It has in the past, it didn’t this time.”

Rock-bot­tom Crewe started brightly and on the quar­ter of an hour mark Ryan Col­clough made a pacey di­rect run at the Lat­ics penalty area, forc­ing a near post save out of Jussi Jaaske­lainen.

But a minute later it was Wi­gan who took the lead when the ball broke on the edge of the box for Wabara who smashed a half vol­ley past Ben Garratt, ig­nit­ing the 2,257 strong away fol­low­ing.

The vis­i­tors com­manded the ma­jor­ity of the first half but just two min­utes be­fore the break Crewe equalised when In­man col­lected a pass over the top from Col­clough and thumped the ball into the roof of the net.

The Rail­way­men could have taken the lead mo­ments later when Col­clough picked the ball up on edge of the box be­fore curl­ing a wicked shot that crashed against the cross­bar with Jaaske­lainen beaten.

Af­ter the break Wi­gan went close when sub­sti­tute Haris Vuc­kic found Yanic Wild­schut who smacked the in­side of the post with a 20-yard ef­fort.

Wild­schut demon­strated his pace by out­run­ning Semi Ajayi in a 30-yard dash but was de­nied twice by Ben Garratt.

Max Power tested the Crewe stop­per late on but the spoils were shared, leav­ing Steve Davis sat­is­fied.

He said:“I thought we were good through­out. I was sur­prised when we went be­hind be­cause we started quite well.

“What we did do well was re­sponded from there on.We didn’t let that af­fect us and we cre­ated a few chances of our own.

“I thought our goal was a ter­rific goal. We’ve worked on Brad get­ting in be­hind the cen­tre halves. We came in at half-time think­ing that we de­served that.

“It was a very even game. A lot of skill with some good pass­ing on a dif­fi­cult sur­face from both teams.

“We’re happy with a point. I’m sure they won’t be.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.