The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jon Waldron

PHIL Brown said his Southend United play­ers were in buoy­ant mood af­ter fi­nally see­ing off ten­man Colch­ester in this bat­tle of Es­sex.

Late goals from An­thony Wordsworth, Adam Bar­rett and Sam McQueen helped seal the Shrimpers’ vic­tory against a U’s side that had to play for around an hour with ten men, fol­low­ing Alex Gilbey’s first-half dis­missal for a strong tackle on Ryan Leonard.

Brown said: “You can hear the play­ers in the chang­ing room. They’re bounc­ing and it’s never easy to beat ten men.

“It looked a naughty chal­lenge by Gilbey. Lenny (Leonard) could be out for a while now too. It’s looks a nasty one.

“We learnt lessons from the last two games when we were down to ten men.The red card seemed to gal­vanise Colch­ester but we kept our pa­tience and got our re­wards in the end.

“I’m de­lighted for Woody (Wordsworth). He’s been a frus­trated fig­ure in the treat­ment room for a cou­ple of months – it was a fan­tas­tic day for us.”

Southend al­most drew first blood at Roots Hall when Stephen Hen­drie’s ef­fort from a cor­ner scraped the out­side of a post.

How­ever, the U’s went close a minute later when Owen Gar­van’s low, curled ef­fort was saved by keeper Dan Bent­ley.

And Richard Brind­ley’s at­tempted cross was touched onto the bar by Bent­ley, nine min­utes be­fore half-time.

But sec­onds later, Colch­ester were re­duced to ten men when mid­fielder Gilbey was shown a straight red card by ref­eree Oliver Lang­ford.

McQueen’s shot flashed just wide soon af­ter but Colch­ester de­fender Ge­orge Elokobi poked Ge­orge Mon­cur’s free-kick wide, as the first half fin­ished goal-less.

Ty­rone Bar­nett and McQueen both went close for Southend early in the sec­ond half, as the hosts tried to find a break­through. McQueen also went close while at the other end, Elokobi’s at­tempted cross landed on the roof of the net.

But as soon as Wordsworth lashed in a low shot from 20 yards to give Southend the lead with eight min­utes re­main­ing, the hosts were in con­trol. Skip­per Bar­rett headed in a cor­ner with two min­utes re­main­ing to dou­ble the Shrimpers lead.

And the im­pres­sive McQueen wrapped up their win in stop­page time, con­vert­ing into an empty net af­ter Brind­ley’s tackle had de­nied Jack Payne in the area as Southend se­cured lo­cal brag­ging rights.

It left Colch­ester boss Kevin Keen dis­ap­pointed his side could not hold on af­ter per­form­ing well with ten men.

Keen said: “When you play with ten men for that long, it’s tough.

“I’m afraid it’s another heroic fail­ure – the ten men were fan­tas­tic and prob­a­bly you wouldn’t have known had you not seen the send­ing off that it was 11 ver­sus ten.

“I thought that we were fan­tas­tic and still very much in the game but even­tu­ally it caught up with us.

“I thought it was a poor tackle – I’ve only seen it a cou­ple of times but the ref­eree couldn’t wait to get his red card out of his pocket quick enough.”




nd Southe THREE AND EASY: Sam McQueen cel­e­brates

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.