Five-star Shak­ers Tutte-rly bril­liant

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By John McDougall

COLCH­ESTER boss Kevin Keen ad­mit­ted their fight to re­main in League One will be “very, very tough” af­ter his ten-man side blew a two-goal lead to be thrashed by Bury.

Chris Porter and Gavin Massey handed the U’s the ad­van­tage, but Tom East­man was sent off and Ryan Lowe halved the deficit be­fore half-time.

Colch­ester ex­pe­ri­enced a se­cond-half melt­down as they suc­cumbed to An­drew Tutte’s hat-trick and Craig Jones’ strike, with U's boss Keen be­liev­ing that East­man’s dis­missal was a key mo­ment.

“It’s go­ing to be very, very tough, but we just keep work­ing hard.” he said.“I say it ev­ery week to just try and keep work­ing hard and do­ing the right things.

“It’s ob­vi­ously a mas­sive mo­ment in the game and not just that, the fact that they score off the free-kick as well was a real dou­ble whammy.

“It wasn’t good, the de­fend­ing wasn’t good on any of the goals.

“At the end of the day, we’ve come away with an­other re­ally, re­ally dis­ap­point­ing re­sult and I’ve got to say the sup­port­ers had a big part in the firsthalf, re­ally fan­tas­tic, and I un­der­stand their frus­tra­tions to­tally.”

The U’s took a fourth minute lead when Porter slot­ted past Ian Lawlor af­ter good work from Massey, while the lat­ter dou­bled Colch­ester’s ad­van­tage with a shot which crept in.

But they en­dured a night­mare 60 sec­onds when East­man col­lected a se­cond yel­low af­ter foul­ing Leon Clarke, with Lowe’s low 34th minute header from Tutte’s re­sult­ing free-kick halv­ing the deficit.

Bury’s triple half-time sub­sti­tu­tion paid in­stant div­i­dends as Lowe burst into the box and Tutte met the 49th minute cross to draw the Shak­ers level, the mid­fielder giv­ing them the lead three min­utes later with a low de­flected shot past El­liot Parish.

The Shak­ers’ dom­i­nance con­tin­ued when Reece Brown’s 56th minute cross was headed across goal by Tom Pope for Jones to smash home, while the winger turned provider to lay off Tutte for his hat-trick with 62nd-minute cannon.

Bury boss David Fl­itcroft said:“We said be­fore the game that it was im­por­tant that we tried to get that one goal ahead and when they did, we didn’t panic.

“It was im­por­tant and the big­gest thing for me is the fans didn’t panic and that was what I be­lieve got us over the line.

“At 2-0 down against the bot­tom of the league, the place could have gone into a real som­bre at­mos­phere, but it didn’t.

“With­out a doubt we scored at a good time but the fans stayed with us at 2-0 and I think that was the key to the vic­tory.”




Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.