Con­fu­sion as Shrews sal­vage the draw

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Lee Jones

SHREWS­BURY Town man­ager Micky Mel­lon de­scribed his side’s in­jury-time equaliser against Scun­thorpe United as ‘pulling a point out of the fire’ – even though he wasn’t sure of the res­cuer!

The source of the goal was a tad con­fus­ing; with an in-swing­ing cross from Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro ap­pear­ing to evade ev­ery­body on its way to nestling in­side the far post, de­spite claims from Andy Man­gan that he had ap­plied a fi­nal touch.

It mat­tered lit­tle, with the only im­por­tant as­pect of the goal be­ing that it se­cured a 2-2 draw, with sec­onds left to play. It res­cued a point from a game in which the hosts had taken a lead and then been forced to take a back seat.

“I don’t know – I’ve seen the same as you,” said Mel­lon, when asked if he could clearup the iden­tity of the goal scorer.

“I saw Jean-Louis stick­ing it in and a lot of bod­ies get­ting across it.We’re de­lighted to pull a point out of the fire at that mo­ment.

“I wouldn’t say the over­rid­ing feel­ing was re­lief, it was fan­tas­tic fight­ing back from the lads af­ter a se­cond half in which we didn’t keep the ball as well as we did in the first.

“There was an aw­ful lot of free-kicks went against us, ones I thought were 5050 de­ci­sions, but that al­lows Scun­thorpe to de­liver balls from wher­ever into our 18-yard box.”

Shrews­bury were the bet­ter side in the first half, but were handed their 21st-minute opener, when Sul­lay Kaikai hooked in from close range af­ter goal­keeper Luke Daniels had failed to catch a cor­ner. Af­ter the break, the Iron moved the ball around bet­ter and equalised when sub­sti­tutes Luke Wil­liams and Kyle Woot­ton com­bined, the lat­ter find­ing the bot­tom cor­ner.

They com­pleted an im­pres­sive come­back nine min­utes later, when Paddy Madden slot­ted in his 19th goal of the cam­paign af­ter chas­ing down Matt Sadler’s back­pass. It looked like be­ing the win­ner, un­til Akpa Akpro whipped that hope­ful ball into the box and, even­tu­ally, the back of the net. “It’s dis­ap­point­ing to con­cede in the last minute of in­jury-time, but that’s how long the game lasts,” said Scun­thorpe boss Nick Daws.

“We did re­ally well to come back from a goal down to a dis­ap­point­ing in­di­vid­ual er­ror, which Luke has taken full re­spon­si­bil­ity for.

“In pos­ses­sion in the first half I thought we were slightly off it, but when a team is play­ing di­rect it can some­times be dif­fi­cult to get the pres­sure on the ball.

“We solved that prob­lem in the se­cond half and fully de­served to take a 21 lead, but it’s frus­trat­ing to con­cede so late on.”




Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.