The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Si­mon Smed­ley

THERE was late drama at Turf Moor as Burn­ley’s six-match win­ning streak was ended by Danny Batth’s stop­page-time strike.

The Cham­pi­onship lead­ers ap­peared to be march­ing on to an­other pre­cious three points af­ter Sam Vokes’ 14th goal of the sea­son handed the Clarets the lead mid­way through the se­cond pe­riod.

But up popped Wolves skip­per Batth in the dy­ing em­bers of a largely dull game to res­cue a point for the gutsy mid-ta­ble vis­i­tors.

Their win­ning streak may be over, but Burn­ley are now un­beaten in 15 games and still hold a four-point ad­van­tage over se­cond-placed Brighton.

And boss Sean Dy­che is hardly pan­ick­ing.

He said: “It was a re­ally close game and credit to Wolves, their game-plan worked quite well.

“They hit the post in the se­cond half and then we had a cou­ple of maybes, but gen­er­ally in those sit­u­a­tion when you go in front at that stage, you should be see­ing the game out.

“Over­all I thought we edged the game. We were close in the end, but there was no cigar.

“Peo­ple need to re­mem­ber that de­spite our po­si­tion, no­body comes here just to lay down and roll over.

“Things might have gone against us a lit­tle here, but it's hardly dras­tic times is it?

“We’re still clear at the top and we’re still on a long un­beaten run.

“As long as we don’t put too much pres­sure on our­selves then we’ll con­tinue to be OK.

“There’s pres­sure ev­ery­where in foot­ball, but we’re not feel­ing any here.”

It was a less-than in­spir­ing goal­less first pe­riod.

The Clarets bossed pos­ses­sion and cre­ated the bulk of the chances, but couldn’t find a way through a wellor­gan­ised Wolves de­fence.

The Clarets went close early on when An­dre Gray stretched but he just couldn’t reach a low cross from strike part­ner Vokes.

Wolves re­sponded with Kort­ney Hause see­ing a tow­er­ing header blocked by Ben Mee.

It was Mee who came to the Clarets’ res­cue in the 35th minute when he was ac­ro­batic in clear­ing Ge­orge Sav­ille’s shot off the line.

Jeremy He­lan also saw an an­gled strike de­flected into the side-net­ting as Wolves ended the first pe­riod pos­i­tively.

The Clarets were res­cued by the wood­work just be­fore the hour mark, when Jack Price cracked in a great ef­fort from 25 yards which bounced to safety off the foot of a post.

The hosts then struck af­ter 68 min­utes when Vokes rose ma­jes­ti­cally to head home his fourth goal in three games as he met Joey Bar­ton’s peach of a cross.

How­ever, that wasn’t enough as Batth pow­ered home a cor­ner-kick from sub Nathan Byrne to si­lence the home faith­ful.

And Wolves boss Kenny Jack­ett felt his side de­served the re­ward of a point.

He said: “We played our part in the game and I thought we de­served some­thing out of it.

“I sup­pose at the end of it you’ve got to de­cide whether it’s a glass half-full re­sult or a glass half-empty.

“It’s def­i­nitely the first one for me be­cause there were a lot of good per­for­mances out there.

“Our play­ers showed a very good at­ti­tude, but we all have to re­mem­ber that fin­ish­ing is such a huge part of foot­ball.

“We had chances here, and we didn't take them. That has to be bet­ter and it’s some­thing we will be work­ing on.”

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

AT THE DEATH: Wolves’ Danny Batth cel­e­brates scor­ing a late lev­eller with Conor Coady, goal in­set

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.