Fi­nal nail in cof­fin for sorry Fullar­ton

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Leigh Cur­tis

JAMIE FULLAR­TON was in de­fi­ant mood af­ter a thump­ing home de­feat to Ex­eter, but it was too lit­tle, too late for the Notts County boss, who was swiftly sacked af­ter just 69 days in charge.

A de­feat at home to Ex­eter was cue for more protests about the Scot who was sub­ject of ‘Fullar­ton out’ chants.

It was a sixth de­feat in seven games for the Mag­pies who look set to be taken over by an Amer­i­can con­sor­tium that have agreed a deal in prin­ci­ple with owner Ray Trew.

Fullar­ton, who was ap­pointed in Jan­uary, said af­ter the game: “I un­der­stand the fans’ frus­tra­tions, but they have the right to ex­press their views.

“If they think that’s cor­rect, then that’s up to them.

“I live my life by my stan­dards and ev­ery in­di­vid­ual has a dif­fer­ent way of look­ing at it.

“While I un­der­stand their frus­tra­tion and share their dis­ap­point­ment, ev­ery­body re­acts dif­fer­ently. I am al­ways fo­cused on the game and the play­ers, so if there are ban­ners be­hind me telling me they want me out, then I wouldn’t see them. I am only fo­cused on what goes on the pitch. It’s not about if it gets to you, or af­fect­ing me, it’s my job to try not to let it af­fect the play­ers.

“Un­for­tu­nately, the heads dropped af­ter the se­cond goal, but it’s hap­pened over a pe­riod of time that for an hour we are ca­pa­ble of match­ing any team.”

How­ever, his words proved fruit­less, as Fullar­ton was sacked two hours af­ter the full-time whis­tle.

Jay­den Stock­ley had given Ex­eter the lead with a header be­fore Izale McLeod equalised at the end of a good pe­riod of play in the 36th minute.

Af­ter Jon Stead hit the bar, how­ever, Notts fell apart. Jake Tay­lor scored with his first touch hav­ing come off the sub­sti­tutes’ bench be­fore Chris­tian Ribeiro made it 3-1.

The lead was then ex­tended when Ol­lie Watkins scored a fourth goal.

And Ex­eter boss Paul Tis­dale was a de­lighted man af­ter­war the fi­nal whis­tle.

“I was very pleased with the win.We were very solid, very dis­ci­plined and it was a good score­line,” he said. “It gave us some breath­ing space for the last ten min­utes.We had a re­ally good tone about us. The in­ten­sity was good and I re­ally liked the way we played.

“We had pur­pose, we had con­nec­tion and we didn’t overdo it. When we had the chance to put the game to bed, we took it.

“Ev­ery­body played their part.We had con­ti­nu­ity over the last five games and again we have started to get rhythm in the side.

“It gave me a chance to make sub­sti­tu­tions to build on it. I wasn’t mak­ing sub­sti­tu­tions to al­ter the per­for­mance.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.