Mel­lon’s feel­ing so much sweeter...

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Matt Cham­bers

MICKY MEL­LON was de­lighted his side laid to rest the ghosts of last week’s Gilling­ham hor­ror af­ter edg­ing to vic­tory at Old­ham.

Josh Law gave the hosts a first-half lead with a neat free-kick, and while Ja­son Brown lev­elled with a header be­fore half-time, the Shrews went 3-1 up thanks to an Ivan Toney penalty and a Joe Ri­ley strike.

Though Ous­mane Fane was then sent off for Old­ham, Lee Er­win ri­fled one back for the hosts in the clos­ing stages af­ter a cor­ner was not cleared and Fred­die Ladapo hit the bar from close range in added time.

Af­ter let­ting slip a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 to the Gills, Mel­lon was glad to have the points in the bag this time.

“Com­ing into this game af­ter last week was al­ways go­ing to be dif­fi­cult. You are not hu­man if you don’t carry some anx­i­ety about it,” said the Shrews­bury man­ager. “The re­sult last week is bound to have gone through their heads.

“It was all about get­ting a re­sult here and mov­ing on. There was a lot we could have done bet­ter, but it was about the re­sult and show­ing the qual­ity we needed to come to a place like Old­ham and get three points.

“We have played much bet­ter and lost, but we had to play the con­di­tions which weren’t easy and we got over the line. Maybe we will fight to play en­ter­tain­ing foot­ball an­other day.”

Right-back Law’s 22yard ef­fort opened the scor­ing and Old­ham thought they would get a chance to dou­ble the lead, but penalty ap­peals af­ter Peter Clarke was brought down in the box were waved away.

Ri­ley crossed with his left foot for Brown to deftly flick one in off the cross­bar and af­ter Charles Dunne hauled down Toney as a cor­ner kick came in, the Shrews striker picked him­self up to net from the spot. Ri­ley fired home in­side Ri­p­ley’s near post from the right side of the box and Fane was dis­missed by ref­eree Andy Haines for a late lunge that brought him a sec­ond yel­low card, but de­spite the late drama Shrews­bury saw the game out. “Ev­ery de­ci­sion went against us, but what can you do? I can’t change the de­ci­sions, so we just have to get on with it,” said Old­ham boss Stephen Robin­son.

“We were brave and went 3-4-2 at the end. We were the bet­ter team for the whole game and played with a bit more in­ten­sity when down to ten men. We showed a lot of drive and pas­sion but de­ci­sions change games.

“Ref­er­ees have the hard­est job in the world. But if you are not go­ing to give the first one you can’t give the sec­ond one. It’s as sim­ple as that.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.