The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Jon Wal­dron

PAUL TISDALE felt the be­lief shown by his Ex­eter City side was the key to their im­pres­sive vic­tory at high-fly­ing Colch­ester United.

The Gre­cians, who went into the game sec­ond from bot­tom, trailed 2-1 at half-time and looked like they were head­ing for a fifth league de­feat.

But Ex­eter turned the game around in the sec­ond half to claim a wel­come win.

Ex­eter boss Tisdale said: “The turn­ing point was at half-time – we came in 2-1 down when we didn’t de­serve to be and had played some re­ally good foot­ball. We knew we had to keep play­ing and keep faith in what we do.

“We’re not in a favourable po­si­tion in the league and we were 2-1 down away from home against a very strong side, but you ei­ther be­lieve or you don’t and we be­lieved. We scored three re­ally good goals and we held on.”

Colch­ester head coach John McGreal was dis­ap­pointed to see his side suf­fer a first home de­feat of the sea­son.

“You have to credit Ex­eter and the way they per­formed. They passed the ball and made us work a lot harder than we have done over the last cou­ple of games,” he said.

“We were de­lighted to come in at half-time 2-1 up but their goal soon af­ter half-time pegged us back and we seemed quite happy to be con­tent for a 2-2.

“They scored again to go 3-2 up and af­ter that we threw cau­tion to the wind.

“We had a bit of a huff and puff at the end where we’ve cre­ated nu­mer­ous chances to per­haps come away with a draw.”

Ex­eter went ahead af­ter eight min­utes as Rob­bie Simp­son net­ted from six yards af­ter Jor­dan MooreTay­lor’s header had hit a post fol­low­ing a free-kick into the area.

Simp­son blasted over from ten yards with only Sam Walker to beat three min­utes later.

And less than two min­utes af­ter that Colch­ester were level as Sam­mie Sz­mod­ics swept home at the near post af­ter skip­per Luke Prosser had headed a free-kick back across goal.

Walker made a fine save from point-blank range to deny Jake Tay­lor af­ter an­other swift Ex­eter break.

But Colch­ester went ahead seven min­utes be­fore the break through Kur­tis Guthrie, who bril­liantly glanced home Bren­nan Dick­en­son’s cor­ner. Sz­mod­ics’ low shot flashed inches wide but five min­utes af­ter half-time Ex­eter equalised when Ol­lie Watkins drilled home a fine low shot. And the Gre­cians com­pleted their come­back mid­way through the sec­ond half when Jack Stacey es­caped down the right and crossed low for sub­sti­tute Joel Grant to con­vert at the far post. Sz­mod­ics rat­tled a post but Ex­eter held out to claim an im­pres­sive vic­tory.

PIC­TURES: Nigel Coke/ Pro Sports

WAT’S UP: Ex­eter’s Ol­lie Watkins breaks through the Colch­ester de­fence

BLUES AND TWOS: United scorer Kur­tis Guthrie

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.