Cob­blers! Un­beaten run ends for Town

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Michael Hale

ON DE­CEM­BER 19, 2015, goals from Gareth Evans and Conor Chap­lin gave Portsmouth a 2-1 win over Northamp­ton at Six­fields.

The Cob­blers then went on a 31-game un­beaten league run which has seen them win the League Two ti­tle and make an im­pres­sive start back in the third tier.

But Ch­ester­field brought their fan­tas­tic run to an end ahead of Wed­nes­day night’s cup game against a club – Man­ches­ter United – far more peo­ple would ex­pect to go nine months un­beaten.

“We weren’t as dis­ci­plined in our de­fen­sive shape and when you’re play­ing against play­ers at this level you get pun­ished for that,” said Northamp­ton boss Rob Page.

“The un­beaten run was never some­thing we spoke about in the chang­ing room so it was never an is­sue.

“It was a fan­tas­tic run and it’s come to an end but it’s im­por­tant we bounce back with a win.”

Northamp­ton were de­nied a penalty within the open­ing five min­utes for what looked to be a push on striker Alex Rev­ell.

Ch­ester­field were rub­bing salt into the Cob­blers’ wounds mo­ments later as Conor Wilkin­son ex­pertly fin­ished across Adam Smith for his first goal since ar­riv­ing on-loan from Bolton.

The Spire­ites should have been 2-0 up within 25 min­utes but Gboly Ariy­ibi saw his de­flected ef­fort cleared off the line by Zan­der Di­a­mond.

Matty Tay­lor went close to bring­ing the vis­i­tors level but his pow­er­ful ef­fort was tipped over the bar by Ryan Fulton.

Wilkin­son added his and Ch­ester­field’s sec­ond of the game less than five min­utes af­ter the restart with a de­flected ef­fort.

Rev­ell nearly re­duced the deficit in­stantly but saw his header fall the wrong side of the post af­ter meet­ing Paul An­der­son’s cross.

An­der­son turned tar­get­man him­self and found the bot­tom cor­ner with a vol­ley to give the Cob­blers hope. But all good things must come to an end and Dion Dono­hue’s strike less than ten min­utes later con­firmed Northamp­ton’s first league loss in nearly nine months.

“From the kick-off we showed our in­ten­tions and we got an early goal which I think we fully de­served,” said Ch­ester­field boss Danny Wil­son.

“They’re very dif­fi­cult to break down so you can see why they’re un­beaten. Thank­fully they didn’t get their noses in front which would’ve made it a lot more dif­fi­cult.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.