Har­ris is thrilled as Gills boss walks off

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Sam Tobin

NEIL Har­ris praised his side’s abil­ity to get the job done af­ter they recorded their third con­sec­u­tive league vic­tory against nine­man Gilling­ham.

But Gills boss Justin Ed­in­burgh was so in­fu­ri­ated at see­ing his team beaten af­ter ref­eree Tim Robin­son sent off two of his play­ers, that he re­fused all me­dia re­quests and now faces pos­si­ble Foot­ball League sanc­tions.

Lee Gre­gory ri­fled home on 13 min­utes when the Gills failed to clear their lines af­ter a cor­ner. And Fred Onyed­inma dou­bled the lead on 63 min­utes, be­fore Paul Konch­esky saw red for in­cur­ring two book­ings in eight min­utes.

Bradley Dack’s 25-yard shot gave the vis­i­tors hope, but Mill­wall de­servedly held on to make it three from three over the fes­tive pe­riod.

“I can’t ask any more of my play­ers,” said Har­ris. “I was crit­i­cal in the dress­ing room for con­ced­ing the goal and I think they were a lit­tle bit sur­prised with my re­ac­tion.

“Hav­ing said that, when you play against Gilling­ham in a lo­cal derby, a feisty game, which it al­ways is, it’s just about get­ting the three points.

“To get nine out of nine in the last ten days is a fan­tas­tic ef­fort from my play­ers.

“That [per­for­mance] was nowhere near the same qual­ity as the first two, but it was ev­ery bit as sat­is­fy­ing in the per­for­mance, be­cause I thought Gilling­ham played well.

“When we’ve got our best play­ers out there, we’re as good as any­one.”

The Lions went close when Shaun Hutchin­son’s header was cleared off the line by Baily Cargill, but the ball fell to Gre­gory, who clin­i­cally fired in his tenth of the sea­son.

Gilling­ham im­proved, Jay Em­manuel-Thomas head­ing a good free­kick from Dack wide of the near post.

The Lions had a good op­por­tu­nity on the counter on 53 min­utes, when Onyed­inma poached the ball and charged for­ward, but daw­dled and lost pos­ses­sion with Steve Mori­son through on goal.

The Lions thought the game was over cour­tesy of eight min­utes of mad­ness from Konch­esky.

The former Charl­ton and West Ham de­fender was booked on 58 min­utes, be­fore Onyed­inma bun­dled his way past him to score five min­utes later.

Konch­esky then scythed the goalscorer down, leav­ing the ref­eree with no choice.

Dack gave the Gills a life­line on 76 min­utes with a half-vol­ley from 25 yards, be­fore he too was sent off in in­jury time.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.