The Football League Paper - - FA CUP THIRD ROUND - By Bob Her­bert

WO well-ex­e­cuted goals by Ian Hen­der­son sent a con­fi­dent Rochdale into the FA Cup fourth round.

On the way they shat­tered non­league Bar­row’s hopes of fi­nally mak­ing it into the third round at their 12th at­tempt.

A happy Rochdale boss Keith Hill said: “We got through with a great per­for­mance.

“We were very pro­fes­sional, we had a great at­tack­ing in­tent and we sti­fled the op­po­si­tion with re­gards to the ma­jor threat, which was set plays.

“We pre­pared the play­ers for the worst on Fri­day and dur­ing the course of the week, but we were pleas­antly sur­prised.

“The pitch was very good, we’re a pass­ing side and we took the ball away from the op­po­si­tion.

“We con­trolled pos­ses­sion and I’m re­ally pleased with the at­tack­ing in­tent. We prob­a­bly should have scored more goals, but we nul­li­fied their threat.

“I’m re­ally pleased with the game-plan and the way the play­ers ex­e­cuted it.”

Rochdale nearly took a six­th­minute lead when Joe Raf­ferty raced down the left flank and squared the ball across goal, but Cal­lum Camps couldn’t get the vi­tal touch.

Then Calvin An­drew had a blast de­flected for a cor­ner. But it was only mo­men­tary re­lief for Bar­row as Steven Davies whipped over his set-piece and Hen­der­son was there to head Rochdale into a 17thminute lead.

Bar­row showed the threat they could be in the 24th minute when keeper Con­rad Lo­gan did well to push away a Richie Ben­nett shot, and while the ball re­bounded to Moussa Diarra he put his at­tempt straight at the keeper.

But many of the nar­row es­capes were at the end Bar­row were de­fend­ing. On 29 min­utes Matt Lund broke into the box, tricked a de­fender to open up the goal and then shot wide of the far post.

At the start of the sec­ond half Davies showed his in­tent with a free-kick that went inches wide of the keeper’s right post.

Bar­row did press but the open­ings were not com­ing and the game was set­tled in the 61st minute when Hen­der­son fired home his sec­ond from Oliver Rath­bone’s pass. Bar­row kept plug­ging away but By­ron Har­ri­son headed into the keeper’s arms and then a low ball from Jor­dan Wil­liams flashed across the face of the net. And in the fi­nal sec­onds Har­ri­son crashed a shot inches wide. “No doubt about it, the bet­ter team won,” said Bar­row boss Paul Cox. “There has to be a sense of pride in how far we have come in this com­pe­ti­tion, but the jour­ney is over now. “They were far more clin­i­cal in the fi­nal third. We had chances but the first goal was cru­cial.”


BAR­ROW (4-4-2): Flatt 7, Bee­ley 7, Livesey 8, Diarra 7, An­der­ton 8, Hughes 7 (Ha­worth 71 7), Har­vey 7, Rowe 7 (Wright 71 7), Wil­liams 7, Ben­nett 7 (Han­nah 77 7), Har­ri­son 7 Subs not used: Cough­lin, Meikle, Mur­ray, An­der­son ROCHDALE (4-3-3): Lo­gan 7, McGa­hey 7, McNulty 7, Keane 8 (Cana­van 90+2 N/A), Raf­ferty 8, Lund 8, Camps 7, Rath­bone 8 (Allen 87 N/A), An­drew 8, Davies 8, Hen­der­son 8 (Can­non 80 7) Subs not used: Lil­lis, Men­dez-Laing, No­ble-Lazarus, Owusu

PIC­TURES: Dan Youngs/ Pro Sport Images

MAKE MINE A DOU­BLE: Rochdale’s match­win­ner Ian Hen­der­son cel­e­brates

HEADS UP: Ian Hen­der­son nods in the open­ing goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.