The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Booker

LU­TON Town boss Nathan Jones ad­mits as­sis­tant man­ager Paul Hart had to calm him down dur­ing his side’s win over Cam­bridge United.

Jones’ Hat­ters went into the break with a 1-0 lead, through Isaac Vas­sell’s goal, be­fore Jor­dan Cook dis­patched a late penalty to wrap up the three points.

The Lu­ton boss, who was watch­ing from the stands as he was serv­ing a one­match touch­line ban, re­vealed he was less than pleased with his play­ers at the in­ter­val, de­spite them hav­ing ac­crued a one-goal ad­van­tage.

“I wasn’t en­tirely happy at half-time – Paul Hart had to calm me down,” con­ceded Jones.

“But when we got our goal we didn’t look back.

“It was a good solid per­for­mance, not as fluid as nor­mal but we de­served our win – it could’ve been more.”

Lu­ton moved up to fourth in League Two, and con­demned Cam­bridge to a first away loss in the league since Septem­ber.

Vas­sell, deputis­ing for the sus­pended Danny Hyl­ton, put the Hat­ters ahead on 30 min­utes af­ter a swift counter-at­tack.

The ball was cleared from a Cam­bridge cor­ner and picked up by Jack Mar­riott on the left-hand side, who beat his marker and slipped it through to Vas­sell.

The striker still had a lot of work to do, and held off both Mark Roberts and Leon Legge be­fore guid­ing his ef­fort past Will Nor­ris. Cam­bridge man­ager Shaun Derry brought on Ben Wil­liamson for Har­ri­son Dunk at half-time to match Lu­ton’s for­ma­tion, and the switch en­sured they came out the stronger team.

Uche Ik­peazu was a con­stant threat for the U’s, and he teed up Conor New­ton and Luke Berry on sep­a­rate oc­ca­sions early in the sec­ond pe­riod, only for both to fire over.

Cam­bridge were al­ways look­ing for the tire­less Ik­peazu, but Lu­ton’s de­fence re­mained res­o­lute and goal­keeper Chris­tian Wal­ton did not have many saves to make.

And the Hat­ters made the points safe with eight min­utes to go. Legge hauled down the ever-threat­en­ing Vas­sell in the area, and Cook tucked away the re­sult­ing penalty in style.

It could have been even worse for Cam­bridge, but sub­sti­tute Law­son D’Ath fired wide when clean through and Nor­ris made a smart save to deny Jonathan Smith.

Derry thought the score­line was harsh on the vis­i­tors, but de­spite two losses in two league games, left Ke­nil­worth Road feel­ing op­ti­mistic.

“I’m un­be­liev­ably dis­ap­pointed that we’ve lost,” he said.

“When they scored the first goal, I was dis­ap­pointed with the next 15 min­utes.

“But I thought we were out­stand­ing for the first 35 min­utes of the sec­ond half.

“I’m go­ing home dis­ap­pointed but op­ti­mistic in terms of how the team have played.”

PIC­TURES: ProS­ports/ Andy Han­d­ley

A TOUCH OF VASS: Isaac Vas­sell cel­e­brates af­ter he scored Lu­ton’s first goal, in­set

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.