Way: We could’ve scored ten in tri­umph

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Derek Quinn

YEOVIL boss Darren Way be­lieves his side could have scored ten as they picked up their first win since the end of Jan­uary with an ex­cel­lent per­for­mance at More­cambe.

Way saw his side squan­der a host of late chances but in the end it was the only blip on a first win in nine games for the Glovers.

Way said: “We were ex­cel­lent and no dis­re­spect to More­cambe but we could have had ten and the lads are a bit dis­ap­pointed that we didn’t score more.

“To come to a place like More­cambe and play like we did was fan­tas­tic. It’s not a great pitch but we played some good stuff and the ef­fort from ev­ery one of our lads was phe­nom­e­nal.

“We haven’t had the best of runs but I have told the lads to stay pos­i­tive and that hard work would give them the re­sults we de­serve.

“We have not played as badly as the re­sults sug­gest but they worked hard all week and got their re­wards. We stood strong and got the win we de­served.’’

More­cambe boss Jim Bentley ad­mit­ted his side could have lost by a greater mar­gin and was dis­ap­pointed to con­cede three goals for a sec­ond game in suc­ces­sion.

He said: “Although we were not reach­ing the heights that we did in Fe­bru­ary, at 1-1 I thought we would kick on and take the points.

“But after they scored the sec­ond we got scrappy. We lost a lot of be­lief and had the stuff­ing knocked out of us and in truth we could have lost 7-1 or 8 -1, which was dis­ap­point­ing.

“Even when we had chances go­ing for­ward at 3-1 we took the wrong op­tion and looked lack­ing in con­fi­dence and I have to say Yeovil were de­served win­ners.’’

An even first half ended with the Glovers tak­ing the lead.

Sub­sti­tute Matt Butcher had only been on the field for a mat­ter of min­utes but with his first touch of the ball beat Barry Roche with a vi­cious, dip­ping vol­ley from the edge of the box to give the vis­i­tors the lead.

More­cambe lev­elled early in the sec­ond half when Ever­ton loa­nee Antony Evans scored from close range after Ar­turk Krysiak had saved from Paul Mullin’s shot.

But it was Yeovil who struck next when Alex Lacey scored from close range after a goal­mouth scram­ble and Be­vis Mu­gabi clinched vic­tory with a header from Ben Whit­field’s cor­ner.

Way’s side then wasted a clutch of late chances with Fran­cois Zoko and Tom Eaves miss­ing the tar­get from close range and star man Whit­field drag­ging a late shot wide, but in the end it mat­tered lit­tle as Way’s side col­lected three points.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.