Red card for Collins but Big­not is sat­is­fied

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Liam Wood

THERE were plenty of en­cour­ag­ing signs for Grimsby Town boss Mar­cus Big­not to take from his side’s draw with Craw­ley Town.

Sam Jones opened the scor­ing mid­way through the first half at Blun­dell Park, be­fore James Collins equalised on the stroke of half­time.

Danny Collins was then sent off for Grimsby, af­ter pick­ing up two book­ings.

It meant the Mariners were forced to play on the back foot for the last ten min­utes, de­spite en­joy­ing the bet­ter of pro­ceed­ings be­fore the break.

Big­not said: “If you look at the last two home games, I think the sup­port­ers can see signs of how we want to play mov­ing for­ward.

“In both of those games we could have won it in the first half, but we could have lost it in the sec­ond half.

“Ev­ery team in this league has got some­one that lit­tle bit spe­cial, so you have got to draw the line and say it was un­ac­cept­able to give some­one like James Collins that space.

“It’s in that fi­nal third where the money play­ers are.

“We got into some good goalscor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties in the first-half, but we have got to turn them into chances.

“But it was en­cour­ag­ing in terms of how we are try­ing to go.”

Craw­ley man­ager Der­mot Drummy added: “I think we had the bet­ter of the chances. They scored from a poor clear­ance from Josh Yor­w­erth.

“But it was good for Josh. He lifted his head and per­formed re­ally well.

“I thought we cre­ated chances, and I don’t think Glen Mor­ris had to make too many saves in goal for us.

“We put to­gether some great moves and showed plenty of in­dus­try, and I think we prob­a­bly de­served the win. “We had to keep our shape in the sec­ond half. I would have liked us to play higher, but they played aerial balls for­ward.

“Grimsby also played some good foot­ball and caused us prob­lems.”

Early in the game mid­fielder Jamey Os­borne headed over when pre­sented with a good chance.

At the other end, James Collins struck the cross­bar af­ter team­ing up with Craw­ley’s Enzio Bold­ewijn.

Jones then broke the dead­lock on 22 min­utes, af­ter smash­ing home at the sec­ond at­tempt.

How­ever, the Mariners were un­able to hold on to their ad­van­tage.

Josh Payne saw his curling free-kick saved by James McKeown, and Collins was on hand to prod home the equaliser as the teams could not be seper­ated.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.